Forced Air Gas Furnace - Pilot Problem

Old 09-12-07, 05:11 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Forced Air Gas Furnace - Pilot Problem

Hello,
I have a classic Intertherm Furnace in my mobile home and it has worked fine until this past April. The pilot quit working and since the weather was warming up, I didn't bother with it. Now I have been looking into it, getting ready for cooler weather and since I am not very familiar with furnaces, I will attempt this before spending $$$$ on a tech. The Pilot is not getting any gas, regardless of the setting of the knob. I followed the instructions and all I get is a spark when I use the little twist igniter. Thus, this is an enclosed unit and can not be reached by a match. I know the thermocoupler will keep this light, but I don't even get a flame. Is there any type of filter that needs to be replaced?

Thanks in Advance,
A.Gore

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 07:10 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have gas for say a stove and water heater also, and those work?

If so, you maybe have orifice hole plugged for pilot. If it used to work, I don't think I would change the pilot adjustment first, just in case more gas flow would in turn open up the clogged orifice in the future, and cause too big a pilot flame.

If you are on natural gas, the orifice hole will be bigger than that on propane. But both are rather small. You do not want to just start drilling these out also. There are skinnier-than- drill bit type reaming bits sized for the correct orifice to get out clogs. The orifice will be located down at the tip of the pilot tube in the burner compartment. I can't tell you how to get it out exactly, but often you have to remove the main aluminum looking gas line coming out of the gas valve, along with the pilot tube and thermocouple, from the gas valve, so you can get the whole assembly out as a unit. You have to go through that procedure with gas water heaters with the same trouble.

Old 09-13-07, 03:33 PM
A
Thanks

Thanks, I will disassemble the unit this weekend and investigate for a clogged line.

A.Gore

Old 09-13-07, 04:27 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It won't be in the tube, just the orifice, as the most highly likely suspect. Those holes are extremely tiny. You can barely see daylight through them when clear!

You can sometimes ream out the frothy build up or crud/rusty crumb stuff with a fine wire plucked from a steel wire brush. Most pins are too thick.

Old 09-13-07, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Pilot orifice

Don't even try to clean it. Just take the model number of the furnace to a place which sells Intertherm mobile home furnaces & get a new orifice. They will need to know if you use natural or propane gas.

Old 09-14-07, 08:00 PM
A
Postings

Thanks,
I will be working on this item this weekend. Thanks for the info.

A.Gore