Tempstar Blower/Motor noise

Old 10-03-07, 08:07 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar Blower/Motor noise

I have a Tempstar model N8MPN100F20A1 furnace that has made a metal vibration noise for a long time, we just lived with it. I had a good idea that it was coming from the Blower wheel/motor area. I tried damping all sheet metal around the area but had no success in stopping the noise. Today when the furnace starts up, the noise will pulse on and off for about 5 to 10 seconds and then go away, but the motor and blower wheel will begin to vibrate severely. I shut the unit off for fear of damage. I have been told that Tempstar Blower Wheels are not very good. Does this sound like the Wheel has gone bad or maybe a motor bearing? I cannot feel any play in the bearings from the shaft.
Thanks,
Carlos

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-07, 10:01 PM
Wink

Id pull the blower out and check it . Might be something in the wheel Or dirt in the fins.

Old 10-04-07, 05:15 AM
V
Already did that, all looked good. What I didn't do was inspect each fin and weld to see if one had broken free. I'll do that today.

Old 10-04-07, 12:39 PM
V
I didn't find any bad welds or crimps but that doesn't mean anything, the problem only shows up under load.
I found a previous thread on this problem that sounds like the problem I'm having, "loose change sound".
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84267

Old 10-04-07, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Noisy Blower

Remove the blower wheel from the motor & inspect the hub. Sometimes the hub will actually break loose from the wheel center. From your description, I'd bet it's a blower wheel.

Old 10-06-07, 10:25 AM
V
Okay, replaced the Blower Wheel and that fixed the problem.
It was fairly easy to do and gave me the chance to look up, clean and inspect the heat exchanger and AC coils. The problem was trying to find a parts place that would sell to me. Had to go through a contractor to do it.
Thanks for the help.
Carlos