Oil burner won't stay on. Winter's comin'

Old 10-04-07, 10:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil burner won't stay on. Winter's comin'

My oil burner switch was off all Summer, I had a load of oil delvered last week and primed the line to make sure there was no air. I flipped the oil burner switch to on, went to the burner itself and hit the red reset button, i could hear the flame start, (I thought) and then it shut off, I waited 5 minutes, tried it again, i tried a few times without success. I can't get anyone in befoe Nov 5th to look at it, I'm in Massachusetts and Im starting to worry. Should I continue to hit the reset button to see if the system fires up? It buzzes as if it want to start but won't catch. Any Help

Old 10-04-07, 12:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickarchitect
My oil burner switch was off all Summer, I had a load of oil delvered last week and primed the line to make sure there was no air. I flipped the oil burner switch to on, went to the burner itself and hit the red reset button, i could hear the flame start, (I thought) and then it shut off, I waited 5 minutes, tried it again, i tried a few times without success. I can't get anyone in befoe Nov 5th to look at it, I'm in Massachusetts and Im starting to worry. Should I continue to hit the reset button to see if the system fires up? It buzzes as if it want to start but won't catch. Any Help

NO do not keep resetting! what happens is you fill the furnace with an excess of fuel oil and air mixture, then it might catch and BOOM! Oil furnaces needs to be checked annually, you probably have a problem with the ignition components.

Old 10-04-07, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Oil Burner

Do not reset anymore. You have created a potentially dangerous situation already. It's past time for a pro.
There has to be an oil burner service company who can come out before Nov. Be sure to tell the servicer how many times you have pushed the reset in order that he/she be prepared.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: