quotes for heater and a/c..all over the place

Old 10-04-07, 04:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question quotes for heater and a/c..all over the place

I am getting quotes on a new forced hot air gas heater and a/c. House is over 80 years old but has new windows, is a twin, is about 960 square feet. Heater is 64,000 btu now and is 22 years old. I have 4 quotes and each has recommended a different brand and size and prices are also all over the place--a/c units 1.5 to 2.5:
-goodman 2stage 45,000btu, 90%AFUE (2ton a/c) $5437
-lennox aires 72,000btu (not sure of the AFUE) (2.5 ton a/c) $4700
-trane 80000btu (1.5 ton) $5800
-carrier 90000btu (2 ton):$6800

Can anyone shed any light on this?? And while the 90% efficiency will save some money on my heating bills...could I get by with 80%?
wall:

Old 10-04-07, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say if you have a long cold winter there. If so them a 90%. If not go for the 80%. That sounds like alot of heat for 960sq ft. But dont know the home
Did any of them do a heat loss and AC load on the home to come up with the right size unit.

Old 10-04-07, 09:49 PM
As Ed said, We don't know where you are out of.

And, you are right, the size is ALL over the board!

Old 10-06-07, 11:27 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I strongly suggest that reject ANY dealer that is not willing to do a complete heat loss / heat gain analysis.

If your existing furnace has kept you comfortable in the coldest weather then you do NOT need anything with a higher BTU rating.

The new windows may have significantly decreased your heating load. The biggest problem you may have is that you have a small house and it may be a problem finding a furnace that is small enough for your house.

Please post back with more details.

Old 10-06-07, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Heater & A/C Size

As Furd said, if your 64,000 kept you warm in the coldest weather, you certainly don't need anything larger. I suggest doing your own heat loss/gain calculation to get an idea as to the size equipment you need. There is a very good one available online from http://hvaccomputer.com. The cost is about $50 but worth every cent.

Old 10-08-07, 08:13 AM
P
heating and a/c quotes all over the board

Thank you all for replying and for your input. I live about an hour north of Philadelphia, PA...so we do get into the teens. I did question the contracter who was going with the Goodman 2-stage and he indicated that he had done the calculation - he took into consideration number of windows, exposure, etc. His company also offers guarantees on thier work. Goodman provides 5yr parts and labor on the heater and A/C...and I would purchase an additional 5year parts and labor for both (at $185) from them to give me a total of 10 year parts and labor. The other contractors don't. A work mate also used this company...which I found on Service Magic (an online contractor referral site)...she was pleased with them. Plus 39 reviews were good.

I like the idea of doing the pvc venting out the side of the house...my chimney is old and a couple of contractors said it needed to be inspected and relined (possible cost $1400). So I am leaning toward the Goodman -- I researched it on the web and there seemed to be bad reviews a few years ago on the Goodman...but now they are considered okay and a good company that offers lower priced equipment.

Does anyone have a comment on Goodman equipment? Again, thank you for your input.

Old 10-08-07, 02:15 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Goodman has been in business for many years, if their products were really bad they would have ceased operation long ago.

Goodman also manufactures products that are sold under different names.

I think that the primary reason that Goodman has a "reputation" is that they are willing to sell to anybody. As a result their equipment is often installed in a poor manner and without the necessary engineering for the particular installation. The installation is often far more critical than the equipment being installed.

It sounds as if the installer that quoted the Goodman equipment knows his (hers?) stuff.

Old 10-08-07, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Goodman

I totally agree with Furd's comments about Goodman equipment. I've said it here dozens, if not hundreds, of times & will again say installation is FAR more important than the brand of equipment. I'd rather have the "cheapest" equipment installed by the best installer than the "best" equipment installed poorly.
I installed a 12 SEER Goodman (aka Janitrol) a/c in my own house about 17 years ago & to date have spent ZERO on repairs. At the same time I installed one for a friend & he has spent about $30 on two fan timers. No other repairs & only minimal routine service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: