Furnace runs with thermostat off

Old 10-24-07, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Furnace runs with thermostat off

My furnace will run even with the thermostat controller completely taken off. I'm thinking that the gas valve is getting stuck open or is wearing out to the point that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. With the thermostat off the wall, so there is no way for the wires to make contact and complete the circuit, the furnace will light and heat the house until it either decides to shut off or I hit the shutoff switch on the side of the furnace. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 11:10 AM
What do you have for a furnace? Forced hot air or forced hot water? If hot water, what does it have for a controller on it? How long have you had the furnace? How long has it been acting up? If the furnace is on, does it work fine when you turn up the thermostat(does it heat the house and the burner turns on eventually?)

Old 10-24-07, 11:31 AM
Thermostate Or Furnace Problem

I think I have a similar problem.

Our boiler was working fine yesterday but today I tried to turn it on but nothing happens(just the heating part). Hot water works fine though.

I am thinking it might be the thermostate or the furnace,how can we find out which one is causing the problem. When I turn of the boiler, I hear the click noise from the thermostate so I think the connection between them is fine.

Old 10-24-07, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To jmcase,

If indeed you are able to have the furnace turn off by turning off any electrical component, as you say in your post, then you can rule out the gas valve as being stuck. And if you want to actually see and prove things first hand with a voltmeter - if you have 24 volts at the MV (main valve) gas valve's 2 terminals, and then thsi current shuts off with the stat turned down, yet you have fire anyway, then the gas valve is indeed stuck.

But if the gas valve shows there still is 24 volts at the MV gas valve's terminals even though you turned down or disconnected the stat, then the problem lies in an electrical component that ties the stat to the gas valve.

Old 10-24-07, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by jmcase View Post
My furnace will run even with the thermostat controller completely taken off. I'm thinking that the gas valve is getting stuck open or is wearing out to the point that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. With the thermostat off the wall, so there is no way for the wires to make contact and complete the circuit, the furnace will light and heat the house until it either decides to shut off or I hit the shutoff switch on the side of the furnace. Please help.
Remove the t-stat wire from the furnace's control board, and see if it stops. If it stops, then you may have a short in the wire between the furnace and t-stat.

Old 10-25-07, 01:06 PM
Wink

ilkaywalker

[QUOTE][Our boiler was working fine yesterday but today I tried to turn it on but nothing happens(just the heating part). Hot water works fine though.
/QUOTE]

It will work better if you make your own post here. need more info on your set up. Is it a boiler??? Does the boiler also heat the hot water for the home?? Do you have pumps on the boiler that dont run ????

Old 10-26-07, 05:22 AM
[QUOTE=Ed Imeduc;1247901]ilkaywalker

[QUOTE][Our boiler was working fine yesterday but today I tried to turn it on but nothing happens(just the heating part). Hot water works fine though.
/QUOTE]

I will put another add that happened by mistake.

it is a boiler and heats the hot water aswell and hot water works fine. It is just the heating that does not come on when I push the on button. But I hear the click noise from the thermostat when I turn the heating off.