Oil Heater Won't Turn on First Time

Old 10-28-07, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yellow wire

You really should not have to have a yellow wire disconnected but it seems you have had a 2 fold problem.

Let's do this:
Leave the yellow wire disconnected & plug the burner back in where it is supposed to go.

If it starts, give it about 5-10 seconds & open the peep hole flap. Keep your face away.

If not burning shut if off right away.

If burning let it go. It should stop in 30-45 seconds & the red light should come back on.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-07, 07:07 PM
I started the heater with it plugged in where it's supposed to be. It started up. I opened the peep hole with pliers. It was burning in there. Sure enough it turned off after about 30 seconds or so. The red light came back on too.

Old 10-28-07, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Solution to problem #2

Your flame sensor or the wires thereto are shorted. If you are up to it, we can do a test to determine which.

You will need a 5/16 nut driver or a screwdriver (some use slotted some phillips).

Turn off power.

On the furnace side of the black box atop the burner (ignition transformer) there should be two screws, one at each corner. If they have small tabs, all you need do is loosen the screws enough to swing the tabs toward the furnace, otherwise remove the screws.

Flip the transformer open (toward you).

You will see on the transformer, between the terminals, a round device with two yellow wires. Hold the back of it & pull the front toward you. It should unplug.

Close the transformer. Re-install the wires to F-F. Turn on power. Push reset. If burner fires, the part you unplugged (cad cell) is bad. If it doesn't fire, the wires are shorted & you will need a cad cell assembly instead of just the cell.

Old 10-28-07, 07:50 PM
I unscrewed the transformer. Found the yellow wires and unplugged the sensor from the back of the yellow wires. I then hooked the yellow wire back up to the F spot so both F wires were connected. Then I turned it on, took out the white button, and hit restart. Sure enough it fired up. Checked in the peep hole and it was burning. And then clicked off in about 30 seconds. So looks like I need a new one of these Cad Cell thingys. Think I could get it at Home Depot where I got the reset box? If not a guy at Ace hardware said there was a heater supply place nearby that I could try. I'll just need info on what to look for and where to go.

Unfortunately tomorrow I will be working from 7:00 am until 10:30 pm. I'm going to try to school my fiancee in how this works. He's a computer geek, so he is logical, but not handy. So he will likely respond to you tomorrow in how to get this fixed. I need to get some sleep if I want to be able to get all that working in. Thanks for all your help! You don't know how much I appreciate it!

Old 10-28-07, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cad Cell

You've done well. Most likely you will need to go to the heater supply house. If you can get just the part you unplugged (Cad Cell), good. If not just tell them you need a cad cell assembly for a Beckett burner. I'm going to bed too. Back to work tomorrow after a week off.
Let me know how it goes.

Old 10-29-07, 05:20 AM
Glad to see that you solved both problems! Let us know how it ends once you get the new eye.

Old 10-29-07, 07:28 PM
Finally got home from working. My fiancee got the part and I walked him through installing it. It works great! We put the thermostat wires back in and it still works! It's warm!! Thanks you guys so much!! I owe you each a cake.

Old 10-29-07, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It Works--Good for You

GREAT.
It took awhile but we had a good student. Pat yourself on the back for hanging in there. While you're at it, tell fiancee he needs to take you out to dinner as payment for 1 service call, after hours no less.

BTW: I like German Chocolate
Stay Warm

Old 10-30-07, 05:12 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear its running now.

Old 11-01-08, 10:36 PM
Im so glad that I found this site. I just installed the exact same furnace in my trailer and this post got us heating again. Im in Fairbanks, Alaska and we were under the gun temperature wise, its currently -5 degrees outside. Thanks to all the great advice and tricks.