50A50 Controller Question

Old 10-28-07, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
50A50 Controller Question

Have a Trane XE 90 w/ WR 50A50-474 controller. Combustion and ventilation fans run but no heat. On start up the diagnostic light flashes fast (Normal. Call for heat) and the combustion fan starts. After ~ 30 seconds the ventilation fan starts and the diagnostic light goes to continuous on (Internal Control Failure - Replace).

Is this diagnostic reliable? In other words is there anything else I should check before buying a new controller? I understand that the current replacement unit is 50A55-843; any tricks on installing it or does it pretty much swap right into the existing wiring?

Thanx -

Last edited by Grady; 10-28-07 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Deleted E-Mail address
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-07, 03:55 PM
Please remove your e-mail address on the board.. Thanks!

Anyway, to your question, most board I've changed out are pretty easy swap out.

Just make sure you make NOTES of what wires went where!

The codes are pretty good with what the trouble is.

Have you shut down the power to the furnace for a few min, and try again?

Old 10-29-07, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Have a Trane XE 90 w/ WR 50A50-474 controller. Combustion and ventilation fans run but no heat. On start up the diagnostic light flashes fast (Normal. Call for heat) and the combustion fan starts. After ~ 30 seconds the ventilation fan starts and the diagnostic light goes to continuous on (Internal Control Failure - Replace).

Is this diagnostic reliable? In other words is there anything else I should check before buying a new controller? I understand that the current replacement unit is 50A55-843; any tricks on installing it or does it pretty much swap right into the existing wiring?

Thanx -
!. Go to www.whiterodgers.com scroll down and click in peoducts then look up furnace conntrols and look the 50A55-843 module. You'll find a catalog page, install instuctions and a troubleshooting guide. The guide would apply to your module. You'll notice on the troubleshooting guide that the diagnosis is reliable as long as the flame sensor is not shorted to ground. Translation- pull the flame sensor out to see if the ceramic is cracked. if that's ok and the problem comes backa fter a reset replace the module.

2. The w/r cross reference says the 50A55-843 will replace your module. Look at page 3 of the install instuctions, for Trane units you have to install a jumper that comes with the kit, so be sure not to miss that.

It's interesting that your "spider-sense" told you to ask around. he he http://arnoldservice.com has the 50A55-843 for $115. However, he says that it won't replace 50A50-xxx modules, but that does not agree with what w/r says. www.myhavcparts.com has them for $169

Old 11-16-08, 12:51 PM
Sorry to drag this thread up but my situation is very related. I am getting the replacement board 50A55-843 and am comparing to the bad board I have now, to make certain of an easy swap.

Every lines up great from my old 50A50-206 *except* the plug that has the IND/IGN items.

The old board has only a 2 space plug for IND and IGN
The new board has a 4 space IND/IGN/IND-N/IGN-N

So, I am sorta stumped. If I can get a blank 4 space plug and just wire it with the IGN and IND wires...will it still work?

THANKS!