York Diamond 80 gas furnace & new thermostat

Old 11-01-07, 06:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 80 gas furnace & new thermostat

Hi All-

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may be able to provide. I installed a new thermostat (Honeywell RTH230B) in my house over the summer, it works perfectly with A/C. I just tried turning on the heat for the first on Monday and the furnace does not kick on, the blower turns on but there is no heat. It has kicked on a few times (mostly after resetting the thermostat) but does not consistently blow hot air

Below is a diagram of the wiring for the thermostat,
Rh- Heating power supply
Rc- Cooling power supply
W- Heating signal
Y- Cooling signal
G- Fan

Wires that I have running out of the wall are as follows, Red, White, Yellow, Green. They are all hooked up accordingly to the above terminals.

Sorry for the long post and Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 06:30 AM
Hi NHO:

Kicked on a few times? Does that mean rhe burners did fire? It looks like the problem is in the furnace and not with the thermostat. Can you tell us whose ignition is in your furnace? Usually, with today's ignition systems, when the burners fire the flame signal is not being recognized by the ignition module/board. The usual culprits are dirty flame sensor, cracked ceramic insulator on the flame sensor, failed/failing hot surface ignitor, malfunctioning combustion air fan or air proving switch. Start checking those items. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 11-01-07, 07:14 AM
Is the small inducer fan running when you call for heat?

Or does the whole system sits dead?

Old 11-01-07, 07:45 AM
When I turn the heat on via the thermostat, the fan (pushing air through the ducts) starts immediately. A few times the furnace has come on, meaning the burners did ignite. Once was after changing batteries on the thermostat, another was after manually resetting the thermostat and another was completely random.

I have turned the heat on via the thermostat and gone in the basement to see if the system ignites or starts and one time i witnessed the burners igniting, all other times nothing happens except that the fan pushes air through all the ducts.

I will try to find answer's the the questions below, but I am a novice when it comes to HVAC.

Old 11-01-07, 07:58 AM
Something is wrong..

What wire is tied to Rh and Rc?

The main blower shouldn't come on right away when you turn up the t-stat. The burners has to run for a couple of minutes to get the heat exchanger warmed up.

Old 11-01-07, 10:22 AM
The Red wire coming out of the wall is tied to the Rh connection on the thermostat and Rh & Rc are jumpered together.

Old 11-01-07, 11:08 AM
Remove the wires from the thermostat and jumper R with W at the blower unit. If you still have a problem, it's your unit and we can go from there. If it works, your issue is the thermostat.

Old 11-01-07, 11:41 AM
Sloooo-

By jumpering the wires at the blower unit, are you talking about connecting the R & W wires at the furnace or the wires coming out of the wall at the thermostat?

Sorry for the questions....

Old 11-01-07, 11:51 AM
Jump it at the furnace. Just undo the wire that goes to the t-stat from the furnace.

Old 11-01-07, 12:31 PM
I will try that tonight when i get home. Thanks again!

Old 11-01-07, 12:38 PM
You may have to tape or hold the button on the door switch, otherwise, nothing is going to happen.

Old 11-02-07, 04:41 AM
The is heat working now.....I checked the wiring at the furnace and pulled the thermostat and re-connected everything and then fired the heat up. I went to the basement to see if anything was happening and after removing the bottom panel of the furnace (where the wiring is) I noticed the furnace trying to kick on. After pushing the button a few times on the door switch the heat started kicking on. I put both doors on and continued testing the heat by turning it on and off via the thermostat.

It continued working all night and into the morning....so I am a little stumped as to what was causing the heat not work properly.

Thanks for all the suggestions....