Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most likely worn contact points inside the inducer relay

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 03:51 PM
inducer relay?

but i measured the voltage right on the board to the inducer and it was about 15 volts. With that in mind, it could be the relay? Where is the relay located?

Old 11-15-07, 03:56 PM
See those little black boxes on the board? One of them is the inducer fan relay.

Old 11-15-07, 04:08 PM
so it's the board...

it's the board then? can a relay on the board be replaced? i am apt with a soldering iron...

Old 11-15-07, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by daverimmer View Post
when i checked for ohms on the ignitor i got no tone and nothing but very small random appearing numbers on the meter. i will check it again when i get home from work.

the furnace was newly installed on 12/7/1998.
Please do. Need actual ohms number please.

Old 11-15-07, 04:19 PM
The board has to be replaced.
www.arnoldservice.com sells them, click on Nordyne parts. [Nordyne makes Tappan]

Old 11-15-07, 04:30 PM
actual ohms? for the ignitor?

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Please do. Need actual ohms number please.
even if the reading only comes when the contacts with the ignitor are very close together? i get nothing when i touch the contacts on the ignitor leads... but going to double check - will report back in a few

Old 11-15-07, 04:39 PM
As long as the contacts are not touching and as long as you make sure your probes do not touch each OTHER while testing. Make sure they don't, otherwise that skews everything.

Old 11-20-07, 08:17 PM
The final solution

Ok well i pulled the board and looked it over and there appeared to be a burnt resistor on the board. I soldered in a new matching one, rewired everything and reinstalled the HSI i pulled earlier.

Heat.

Pure beautiful heat.

Thank God.

Its been running for six hours now and all is great. I am concerned about why the resistor failed. Does it's failure indicate it was a bad part or is some other component causing it's failure?

In any event I want to thank Daddy John and ecman for their time and efforts on my behalf. Thanks guys - you have no idea how much i appreciate it.

Dave Rimmer
Independence Missouri

Last edited by daverimmer; 11-20-07 at 08:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-20-07, 08:39 PM
Hi Dave:

You're welcome. Glad to hear you have heat again. Good thing you're adept with electronics. Why did the resistor fail? It's a component, components fail. Happy turkey day.

Old 11-21-07, 06:55 AM
Welllll, I really didn't help, but glad to hear you got it. And you can feel proud that you are quite the handy guy.

Old 11-21-07, 09:44 AM
thanks

maybe a bit proud - more like desperate - especially with the cold front heading into missouri this t-day. But definately warm....

As luck would have it, a distant cousin whom i haven't talked to in 20 years just came into town and gave me a call. Of course he is an HVAC tech. He gave me all kinds of hell for just cracking open the furnace. Shrugs. I didn't think i would have a problem as long as i stayed away from the gas valve. Gas frankly scares me.

Thanks again guys and this forum!

Dave

Old 12-19-07, 06:43 PM
One more question...

I went down to the tappan furnace to clean and unscrewed the round fuse next to the main on/off switch. When i screwed it back in it broke and i have no idea for sure what the amps are of this fuse. It is a glass general electric and i could swear it said 30 amp before the thing broke. Now there is nothing there to read other than the company name.

Can anyone veryify that this is the right fuse? I replaced it with a 30 amp time delay from Ace Hardware.

I was certain it said 30 amp at one time. But now that seems really high.

Thanks

Dave

Old 12-19-07, 06:54 PM
You'd think it only need a 15. Are you sure it also is not stamped into the metal base of the fuse?

But regardless; say someone else put in the wrong fuse does not mean you follow suit. Do you know by looking at the wiring at the socket, in the furnace fuse box, what the gauge of the wire is by just looking at it, if you do not see it printed on the sheathing? It is probably only 14 gauge (if copper/12 if aluminum) is my guess.