Fraser Johnson Furnace won't ignite

Old 11-06-07, 09:55 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fraser Johnson Furnace won't ignite

Hi,

We just recently purchased a new home and it came complete with a Fraser-Johnson Deluxe High Efficiency Furnace. The unit was converted to propane in 1995 by York and since there was no other form of gas available (still isn't) we think that was when the unit was installed. The furnace operates but periodically it fails to ignite. The system has a HSI and the igniter lights up, which suggests there is no problem with the HSI, but the furnace fails to ignite. When it does ignite it does so on the tail of the HSI shutting down.

We have already cleaned the flame sensor to no avail. It has been suggested that we need to clean the burner assembly. I have looked around but have failed to find a user's manual for the unit. I located a York User's Manual for what looks like a similar unit since the drawings resemble the burners in our furnace but I'm a little shy about opening it up.

I can provide the model number as well as the conversion kit model number. I have the serial number as well. Please tell me if you think that could be the problem and if so can you suggest where I might find instructions for cleaning my burner assembly?

Thank you,

alison

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-07, 06:58 PM
B
does it ignite and then shut back down? or does it not ignite at all? Can you Ohm out the hsi?

Old 11-07-07, 04:27 AM
Can you look at the gas valve and read the model number ? If it has SV on it then it's a Honeywell Smart Valve. They are replaced everyday as they are not very reliable. Another thing as since any gas is dangerous propane is at the top of the list. I would highly suggest to get this thing looked at,cleaned, and safety inspected by a trusted pro.

Old 11-07-07, 06:26 AM
A

The unit stays on and heats perfectly well when it lights. we cleaned up the burners but it still lights sporatically. I don't think it'd a honeywell valve but I'll check. Thanks for the responses, we have a home warranty and will have a pro take a look.

alison

Old 11-07-07, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't count on the home warranty people being of much help. But you never know.