nat gas to propane furnace conversion

Old 11-07-07, 12:36 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nat gas to propane furnace conversion

I have a 20 year old Carrier home furnace, model #3946AD0001, with a Honeywell valve, model#R800A1020. I want to convert it to propane for my shop, but Carrier says the kit for it is obsolete. I've searched the web and can't find an obsolete furnace parts place to track down a kit (but I know they're out there). Can anyone help with some conversion instructions or links to possible sites or????? Winter is coming on here in Utah and I need that furnace BAD!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-07, 04:43 PM
I tried to search for something, and no luck.

You may be best to call a dealer, and have them replace the gas valve, and have them drill out the orfice to match the BTU sizing of the furnace.

Old 11-07-07, 08:32 PM
C
Other possibility is just replace that gas valve which would be just a common shelf valve which will have a propane kit with it. All you need to do is know you btu needs and this will help you easily request a gas valve for you needs. Standing pilot?

Old 11-08-07, 07:57 AM
E
Yes, it has a standing pilot. Thanks, guys, for your responses. I will look into replacing the gas valve with a newer one as suggested. I can probably find the info on the jet orifice size needed and have them filled and redrilled. The valve issue is what has been throwing me off...I am a real novice at this.