Rheem Oil Furnace or New Honeywell Tstat Problem

Old 11-15-07, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is not digital single being sent from the t-stat.. The word "Digital" is refering to the digital reading on the display.. All the thermostats out there in the market is a switch... That is why I am not pointing at the t-stat.

On that model of t-stat you have now, do you hear it click when you make call for heat and click off when no call?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
There is not digital single being sent from the t-stat.. The word "Digital" is refering to the digital reading on the display.. All the thermostats out there in the market is a switch... That is why I am not pointing at the t-stat.

On that model of t-stat you have now, do you hear it click when you make call for heat and click off when no call?
Yes

So if I go out and buy and older round mercury tstat the system will act the same way?

This is just odd. Could it be some emergency case I am hitting and the furnace just turns itself off. I am so confused as to why this is happening? All the tests are coming back like they should.

I was going to try this before I bought a new tstat.

Try to replicate the problem with no tstat by acting like the "switch".

1) Remove tstat.
2) Turn on Power.
3) Instead of twisting the wires together I was going to take a paper clip to make the connection. ( what should I wear to hold it?)
4) Remove paper clip to simulate the tstat turning off the furnace.
5) See if the abnormal cycling begins like it always does with the tstat on.

Good Idea?

Old 11-15-07, 08:10 AM
It's low voltage, 24 volts won't bite.. So you can touch it with your bare hand.

Just make a "hook" on the end of the wires, hook each other let the furnace run say 10 min, unhook it and go from there.

As for my clicking question, you able to hear the click at the t-stat?

Old 11-15-07, 08:51 AM
Better yet, take the wires off the t-stat and hook them up to a light switch [the kind that you use to on/off the lights in your house] then you can turn the furnace on/off without worrying about whether you had a good connection.

Old 11-15-07, 08:58 AM
As for my clicking question, you able to hear the click at the t-stat?
Only when it operates the way it should. The times it starts cycling on its own there is no click.

Full explanation

1) turn emergency switch to off position & tstat to off. tstat reads 64.

2) Turn on emergency switch/ power and place tstat in heat mode.

3) turn tstat to 66.

4) Hear click Heater symbol displays on tstat & furnace kicks on.

5) tstat hits 66, hear another click heater symbol is gone.

6) Blower runs until all heat is removed from furnace and turns off.

7) Set tstat down to 62 to turn on furnace

8) 30 min later tstat reads 66/65 Furnace turns on for 30 second to a minute turn off.

9) same thing continues to happen until I turn emergency switch to off position & tstat to off. The bad thing is the blower never kicks in, not enough time.

So if it is really cold at night right now I have to get the house up to 70 right before bed and hope some of that hot air escapes through the registers when it rises and not all through the chimney when it does the abnormal cycling.

Old 11-15-07, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by gmogoody View Post
8) 30 min later tstat reads 66/65 Furnace turns on for 30 second to a minute turn off.
So you not hearing the click on the t-stat when this happens?

Also, did you take a look at the t-stat wire last night with the bunch of electrtrial tape?

Old 11-15-07, 10:01 AM
So you not hearing the click on the t-stat when this happens?
Correct, not hearing it

Also, did you take a look at the t-stat wire last night with the bunch of electrtrial tape?
Not Yet, my friend told me to look for corrosion or discoloring. I was going to do that tonight. If any existed I was going to Cut the wire re twist and cap with an electrical Cap instead of tape.

Yeah I know it is low voltage.

If I have time Sat I was going to re wire it but I have to replace my sump pump tubing first. The previous owner used that ribbed tube. We had that at my parents house and it would freeze up all the time in the winter. So we are replacing it with PVC. While also allowing us to disconnect it from outside if it does freeze to bring it inside real quick and thaw it out.

Old 11-15-07, 10:16 AM
Correct, not hearing it
Then the t-stat is not at fault.. There is a relay inside the t-stat that click to make contact to complete the circuit.

So I am pointing at the wires, or the primary control on the burner.

If I have time Sat I was going to re wire it but I have to replace my sump pump tubing first. The previous owner used that ribbed tube. We had that at my parents house and it would freeze up all the time in the winter. So we are replacing it with PVC.
Don't forget the check valve.. When you make your 90˚ turn to go out, sloop the pipe downwards to drain the water out pipe.

Old 11-15-07, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all your help Jay.

I am leaning closer to the primary control on the burner.

I have done all the wire tests. I believe. if it were the wires wouldn't one of the the things you had me do before from below not behave as expected?

Something is getting confused and telling the burner to fire.

Old 11-15-07, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rheem

In that furnace there are is a small black relay with about
6 (?) terminals on it. I've replaced several for doing strange things. Get out the wiring diagram for this furnace & trace every single wire. Make sure they are connected where they should be.
If you knew how, I'd tell you to chop out all of the factory control wiring & do it as would be done in a normal furnace. Why in heaven's name Rheem chose to take a simple task & complicate it is beyond me. I had one customer so exasperated with the repeated trouble, he asked me to completely change the control system on his Rheem.

Old 11-15-07, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
In that furnace there are is a small black relay with about
6 (?) terminals on it. I've replaced several for doing strange things. Get out the wiring diagram for this furnace & trace every single wire. Make sure they are connected where they should be..
Grady,

This Box you're talking about??

Old 11-15-07, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Black Box

Seems to me it was a small relay with push on terminals. It's been a few years since I last had to work on one. Inside the box behind that transformer, it looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory.

Old 11-15-07, 07:46 PM
I see the relay on this one..

Old 11-15-07, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could Be

I was thinking even smaller. Might be inside that juntion box.

Old 11-15-07, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Relays

There's another one which plugs into the front of the junction box. Maybe that's the one I was thinking of.

The box on the fan housing in the picture "Top & Bottom" (post #14) is a fan timer. If the fan is cycling improperly, that's where I'd start looking.

Old 11-16-07, 03:21 AM
We may be able to stop scratching out heads.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

I removed the tape that you saw Jay and the wires were extremely rusted and corroded. I just recently(Aug) put a de humidifier in the basement because of the moisture in the summer. I cut stripped and capped them with the electrical caps, no tape. I know it is low voltage.

At 8pm I ran a cycle until the tstat told the furnace to turn off again. Well it is 6:19 am and cross my fingers it looks like there may have been a short under the tape. The problem seems to have gone away.

The furnace is also responding to adjustments I make from the tstat. Like it should now. Something it was not doing when I had the problem.

Old 11-16-07, 04:42 AM
We may be able to stop scratching out heads.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Yay!! (Clapps) I was starting to get bald! I don't want to be bald at 36 yr old! hehe

Well, you know what you are doing this weekend, or when you do have time.

Old 11-16-07, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Head Scratching

Yippeeee. I'd rather have a dead short than something like this. It'll drive you nuts.

Old 10-29-09, 06:44 AM
Same furnace diffrent problem

I have the same furnace but with a different problem...
The burner fires and the blower does not come on. The the burner continues to run then shuts off. I assume this is to over temp. I replaced the blower relay. It did not fix the problem. I jumped the relay and the blower runs. Another bad relay? What does the control box on the blower do? Is that to keep the blower on for a while after the burner shuts off? Does it control on the blower on or off?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-30-09, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Control Box on Blower

I believe the control box on the blower is a fan timer which controls both when the fan comes on & when it goes off.