Carrier 58WAV091-14 No Inducer Motor & No Heat

Old 11-14-07, 01:13 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Carrier Natural Gas Furnace 58WAV091-14. There is no ignition, glow of igniter, no voltage to inducer motor when the thermostat is turned to Auto fan and heat and even in test mode (connect Test to COM).

Test mode (connect Test to COM) runs igniter, blower at heat speed then at air conditioning speed but not inducer motor as is required in the label on the furnace. There is no voltage to the inducer motor at any time.

Draft Safeguard Switch and pressure switch are new.

The furnace has the following Service Code 31:
Pressure, Draft Safeguard, or Auxiliary-Limit Switch did not close or reopened. If open longer than 5 minutes, inducer shuts off for 15 minutes before retry. Check for:
Proper vent sizing & condensate pitch (I disconnected & cleaned flue vent pipe all the way into the chimney; no blockages)
Vent restriction or high winds (attempted to run furnace without flue pipe attached to furnace after the above cleaning)
Defective inducer motor or start capacitor (Inducer motor only runs when hot wired to 110 volts)
Defective pressure switch or connections. If it opens after trial for ignition period, blower will come on for 90 seconds recycle delay (pressure switch new)
Inadequate Combustion air supply (cover off furnace still will not start)
Low inducer voltage (NO VOLTAGE to inducer motor even in TEST mode)
Disconnected or obstructed pressure tubing (checked and tested)

Can this be the inducer motor relay which appears to be part of the control BOARD (Carrier part 325 878 751/ HK42FZ004)? Does this sound like the BOARD/inducer motor relay is the problem?

Thank you,
Smile7777

Old 11-14-07, 02:57 PM
D
Hi smile:

It sounds like you're saying that you independently put 120 volts to the inducer motor and it ran ok? Did you ohms test the harness? IOW- the wiring between the board and the inducer motor. When you ran the test mode, did you check for voltage right at board? Also, take out the board and look on the back for burn marks or maybe a place where the solder let go. The reason I'm asking about all of this is because a new board is $255.00 at www.arnoldservice.com
and his prices are near wholesale. At their site, click on furnace boards, then Bryant [same as Carrier] then scroll down until you find the kit that replaces HK42FZ004 which is btw a 325878-751. Your board may not be the original. We want to exhaust all other possibilties before having to pony up for a new board. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-14-07, 11:02 PM
S
Question No induder motor no matter what

daddyjohn

Thank you for your response! I am impressed!

I did test the lines for the inducer motor from the Board. There is no resistance (0 ohms) for both lines with no changes in resistance with movement of the wires.

There is no power at the board for the inducer motor in Test Mode, Heat-on or any other time.

There are no visible burn marks on the Board. The soldered connections appear intact on the Board.

There is a clicking noise from the Board when the TEST MODE is attempting to start the inducer motor. Sometimes there is a very very slight momentary power surge of maybe a few volts (less than 5) when the clicks are audible in the beginning of the Test Move when the inducer motor should be running but the inducer motor does not move at all.

Do you need the 24Volts for the Board in the Test Mode to get the Inducer Motor to work? I will check this tonight along with the grounding of the components.

Smile7777

Old 11-15-07, 09:21 AM
D
Hi smile:

It sounds like you're going to have to replace the board. I'm not sure what you mean about the 24 volts, the board always has a 24 volts power supply going to it from the transformer [power on of course].

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: