York Diamond 80 very fast cycles

Old 11-19-07, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 80 very fast cycles

As stated i have a York Diamond 80 (an older model, not sure what year as i am at work right now). When we turn on the heat, the burners ignite for about 5 seconds, then turn off for about 20 seconds. This repeats about 6 times and then stops all together while the blower keeps running.

I have replaced the filter which was admittedly a bit dirty. I also cleaned off the flame sensor which prompted the unit to work properly for 3 days or so before returning to the quick cycles. The thermostat is also in working order.

I used to know an HVAC guy that would tell me bits an pieces, and based on that i think there is an issue with the limiter. Does this sound right? If so is there a good place i can go about purchasing a replacement? If not then any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-07, 02:37 PM
Hi UMD:

I doubt it's the high temp limit. Try replacing the flame sensor. What does the ceramic insulator on the sensor rod look like? Any cracks? What did you use to clean the sensor?

Old 11-25-07, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the quick response, sorry mine wasn't. holiday and computer trouble slowed me down.

I definitely agree with the flame sensor being the issue after testing a few other things. I cleaned it with the abrasive piece they put on the back of sponges. It removes a bit of corrosion. The ceramic piece has no cracks and looks fine. I guess these things can be busted even though they look visually fine?

Thanks again for the help and sorry for my slow response.

Old 11-25-07, 11:47 AM
Greetings!

This morning I was greeted by my downstairs furnace (York Diamond 80) with very similar behavior that UMDpenguin describes. The difference is that the ignitor glows bright orange (on the right side of the burners), then the burners ignite for about 2-3 seconds, then the burners go out. The cycle repeats once, then the ignitor goes out. The main air movement fan keeps running.

Does this sound like the same problem - a dirty flame sensor? I'm going to try to clean it...thanks for the idea on how to do so!

One question - I don't know what a flame sensor looks like...can someone describe it for me?

I'm very handy with tools and mechanical devices - I just haven't had an opportunity to work on central gas heat systems...yet!

Thanks for your help - it's most appreciated!

Old 11-25-07, 11:59 AM
Hi Hutch:

Flame sensors are just a thin rod. Sometimes they are separate from the ignitor and sometimes not. They get an oxidized coating that you can't see but it retards/blocks the flame rectification process. Maybe if you look on the furnace wiring diagram, you might find a clue of how it's hooked up which will give you an idea of where to look. Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-25-07, 12:18 PM
daddyjohn,

Thanks for the incredibly fast response - I've never had a posting responded to that fast before!!!

Bottom line - the furnace is now fixed!!

Your description of the flame sensor was spot-on...told me what I needed to look for. On the York Diamond 80, it is a thin metal rod with a ceramic passthru on the left side of the burner unit - opposite side of the ignitor.

Very simple to remove, clean (with the abrasive green stuff on a sponge per UMDPenguin), and reassemble.

Tested, and now the flame comes on and stays on!

Thanks so much for your advise - I now look like a hero to the wife and kids!!!!