Water leaking from high efficiency furnace.

Old 11-25-07, 04:22 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from high efficiency furnace.

I just installed a 96% high efficient condensing furnace/heat pump combo. The furnace has a sealed combustion chamber with direct vent pvc piping (1 exhaust and 1 air inlet). I also have a humidifier installed above the A frame. For the first 3 weeks the weather was pretty mild and the HP heated the house nicely. The humidifier also came on a couple of times. no problems were noted. During the 4th week the temperature started getting into the 20's at night so the gas furnace kicked on over night with the HP mostly running during the day. I noted water had come out of exhaust vent pipe drain hose. After a few days I noticed water on the floor around the furnace. When I opened the filter door there was a large pool of water under the blower motor. Water was also dripping from the blower motor. I opened up the A frame door and there was water on the furnace structure below the heat exchanger. The AC drain hose and pan under the A frame was totally dry. Although the humidifier appeared normal I thought maybe it was leaking so I turned it off and shut the water supply off. I mopped up the water but it has returned. All the hoses appear to be tight as I have not seen any water leaking from them. My thoughts are either the heat exchanger is leaking, or possibly could the cold outside air be coming in the intake and vent pipes and cool the heat exchanger enough so that when HP runs the humid air inside the house passes over it and condenses? Any thoughts/fixes.

Old 11-25-07, 05:35 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dan:

Actually water is condensing out of the flue gas [because of the high efficiency of the furnace] and needs to drain off. So I think you have a draining issue with the flue gas condensate itself. Have the installing company come back and fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: