Vent Alarm

Old 11-26-07, 06:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vent Alarm

I just purchased my first house a few months ago. I just learned that my vent alarm needs to be replaced. I'm wondering why the oil tank inspector didn't catch this. I think he was mainly just testing it for leaks and maybe isn't responsible for testing the vent alarm. I called him yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

The other thing is I'm reading that vent alarms are really cheap (no more than $50) and yet my oil company is going to charge me a few hundred.

Is this something that I could replace myself?

Old 11-29-09, 06:27 AM
R
vent alarm

My oil co. told me I could clean mine. Does anyone know how to clean one, they said they would do it for $82.00.

Old 11-29-09, 08:11 AM
S
To replace a vent alarm which is the fitting that the vent line comes from you must remove the vent line either by taking the pipes apart or cutting the line and then you reconnect with a coupling that they make for that purpose so you don't have to rethread the cut ends and install a union. The couplings are about 30.00 the last time I bought one but they save you a lot of labor and time and you don't need to replace any pipe. As far as cleaning them I never heard of that. You still have to go through the same proceedure to get at them so why not just put in new one.

Old 11-29-09, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Pictures

Some pictures of the tank including the vent alarm & vent piping would help in explaining how to replace the alarm. The easiest way to post pix here is to post them on photobucket.com (free) or similar site & provide a link here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: