Lennox furnace ignites but doesn't blow

Old 11-27-07, 12:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox furnace ignites but doesn't blow

I'm sorry to have to post this but for the life of me I can't find the answer!

My 11-year old Lennox AC/Furnace (EZ-1625) comes on, the burners fire up for a minute, the blowers don't come on, and it shuts down. It will keep doing that every 10 minutes or so until I turn the thermostat off.

I know I need to pull it apart but I would love to find more detailed instructions (pictures with labels?). What should I be looking for?

We're cold! Even here in Austin, Texas! Thanks!!

Old 11-27-07, 02:06 PM
D
Hi c:

First thing to do is set your thermostat fan switch to on and see if the blower comes on. If it does, try the heat and see what happens. If it doesn't, investigate why. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 11-27-07, 02:31 PM
DaddyJ, thanks so much for your swift response!

No blowers. Nada. Can't get the fans to turn on. I also can't get the AC to turn on (I have an old digital Eagle Shield thermometer that you tap to tell it what to do. I've never told it to get cooler when it's this cold already, and I don't think I ever used just the fans. The AC did work find this summer.)

Did I answer your question?

Old 11-27-07, 06:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you have down time after the cooling season where the blower was not used for weeks, let's say? If so, the shaft may have corroded some in the bearing and the blower wheel may not be able to turn. With the furnace turned off, open up the blower door and see if you can reach in there and easily spin the blower wheel.

Old 11-27-07, 06:53 PM
ecman, yes, indeed, there was no activity for some time.

mmmm... "open up the blower door". Is there a schematic or something I can look at? I'll try to find one, but if you can give me any hints I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-11, 07:09 PM
S
Check capacitor

I just recently had this very situation happen to my furnace. The fan worked fine all summer with the AC, then when it got cold and I turned the furnace on the blower would not come on, it would sit there and whine as if it were trying to get going but couldn't. I finally called a repairman to check it out and it turned out to be a bad capacitor that controls the fan. As it turns out the fan runs at different speeds for the AC and Furnace. The fan runs at a slower speed for the furnace, so the bad capacitor was not able to give the fan enough power to get started. It cost me $94.40 for the repair and it was such an easy fix for the repairman. ($75.00 service call, $19.00 part)(20 minutes total time in and out) To fix this all you need to do is take the front off of the unit where the electronics are and look for a round silver object about 1 1/2" in diameter and unplug it and then plug a new one in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: