Choosing a new furnace

Old 11-30-07, 08:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing a new furnace

I currently have a Lennox G12D2-82-3 gas furnace. How does one go about picking out a replacement model. Performance wise it is easy to compare specs. But are there other important things to consider.. like size. It should be close to size to adapt easily to current duct work correct? Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-07, 01:23 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by walkjoe
I currently have a Lennox G12D2-82-3 gas furnace. How does one go about picking out a replacement model. Performance wise it is easy to compare specs. But are there other important things to consider.. like size. It should be close to size to adapt easily to current duct work correct? Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
You gotta be kidding. If you ask a chevy man what kind of car you should get, what do you think he is gonna say, FORD? hehehehe have fun, but pick a well known brand at least or ask your heating contractor. LOL Good Luck, Charlie::

Old 11-30-07, 04:43 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Brands don't mean anything! The way it is installed is everything! Find a good company that can install it wright and you have found your company. They must do a heat load on the home for the wright size equipment.

Old 11-30-07, 05:18 PM
L
Boilerus is right, never ask what should i buy. its much like shopping for a car or truck, go for price, what cost is to fix when it breaks when warr goes down, type of warranty they have. shop around. price it out. and ALWAYS go to a couple of different places. dont take 1 persons thought as gods word

Old 11-30-07, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
New Furnace

Airman's comments are right on the money. MANY furnaces out there are exactly the same except for the nameplate.

When someone asks me about the "best" kind of furnace, I tell them "the one installed by the best installer". I would rather have the "cheapest" piece of equipment made & installed by the best installer than the "best" equipment installed poorly.

As primarily a servicer, I will tell you this: Nearly every premature heat exchanger failure is directly traceable to a poor installation.

Old 11-30-07, 07:39 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I currently have a Lennox G12D2-82-3 gas furnace

Why do you want to replace it?

I also have a Lennox G12

I'm keeping it until it croaks. 30 years plus and it shows no signs of giving it up.

Old 11-30-07, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by mbk3

Why do you want to replace it?
Maybe they want to save some some money on their gas bill? Gas price isn't going down.

Maybe they want something that may give them more comfort, like a Two stage heating with variable speed blower?

maybe they have a cracked heat exchanger.

I also have a Lennox G12

I'm keeping it until it croaks. 30 years plus and it shows no signs of giving it up.
have you had a clean/tune up service where they checked your heat exchanger? Lennox's Duracurve heat exchanger are know to crack.

Old 12-01-07, 07:46 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Maybe they want to save some some money on their gas bill? Gas price isn't going down.

Maybe they want something that may give them more comfort, like a Two stage heating with variable speed blower?

maybe they have a cracked heat exchanger.

have you had a clean/tune up service where they checked your heat exchanger? Lennox's Duracurve heat exchanger are know to crack.

I understand everything you mentioned, I was asking him why.

I check my furnace every season startup.
I checked his profile to see where he lived, nothing, since I'm in calif furnace doesn't get many hours.

Old 12-01-07, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

walkjoe Just make sure you get 3 bids for the job. What ever furnace the guy sells that has been around there for the last 15 years . Id say is what to go with.

mbk3 Out there for what you run the furnace Id say stay with what you have for now. But up where the furnace runs a lot then a AFUE furnace of say 92% is the way to go. But then like here the only way to go is with a electric heatpump.

Old 12-02-07, 05:47 AM
J
Just find you a good tech as mentioned. Most contractors sell several brands which will fit your budget and needs. Lennox parts can be more expensive (I'm not bashing them).

Sometimes a homeowner does not understand that some brands cost more to repair than others. The car comparison is good. If you have a Cadillac, it will cost more to repair than a Chevy.

Old 12-06-07, 09:17 AM
W
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice but know that I was not asking for what to buy but how to choose what to buy. Perhaps I fraised the question incorrectly. I have the opurtunity to save myself some money and actually purchase the furnace. Will any upright forced air furnace fit in the existing space? Do contractors just compare specs and thats it.. or is there more considerations? Also, will a contractor even bid on just installation... and yes I planned on getting at least 3 estimates.

Old 12-06-07, 04:08 PM
J
Many contractors will walk away from a deal where the HO provides equipment. However, there are some who may do your install. Be advised, you will likely get no equipment labor warranty from the contractor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: