Day & Night Gas Furnace , delay in burner ignition

Old 11-30-07, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Day & Night Gas Furnace , delay in burner ignition

Hi All,

This issue happens intermittently. When I turn on the gas heater/furnace this is what I would notice :

1) The pilot will ignite for up to a minute
2) then there are 4 burners that will flames up when the gas valve opens

This morning I noticed 2 of the burners (on the right side) did not flame up at the same time as the other 2 on the left , when the 2 burners on the right side did flame up (about 3-5 seconds later) , the flames shot out ,up to and almost out past the grill covers.

Please advise what I should do....and again, this is intermittent. I have provided a link to flickr.com photos as I have uploaded 2 pictures that may help in this situation,

Thank you for any advise. Link to photos below:

http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/uA43G3

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-07, 10:05 AM
Hi c:

Try removing the burner assembly and cleaning the burners and the crossovers. In addition, reach up into the heat exchanger cells and make sure they aren't sooted up. Let us know how you make out.

BTW- Day & Night has been off the market for a long time which means your furnace has seen many miles. It's a good idea to have at least one CO monitor installed in the house in case the heat exchanger fails.

Old 12-01-07, 05:33 PM
Thanks, will call service tech

DaddyJohn....Thanks for the advice, I would love to do it myself but I have no experience with furnaces and better to not monkey with it for safety reasons....I will call a service tech to check it out....

Thanks again

Old 12-06-07, 09:03 PM
Burners cleaned and other tuneup done!

Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Hi c:

Try removing the burner assembly and cleaning the burners and the crossovers. In addition, reach up into the heat exchanger cells and make sure they aren't sooted up. Let us know how you make out.

BTW- Day & Night has been off the market for a long time which means your furnace has seen many miles. It's a good idea to have at least one CO monitor installed in the house in case the heat exchanger fails.
DaddyJohn,

Thanks for the advise again. I wasn't up to doing it myself so called a service man to clean the burners. He also adjusted the burner flames and adjusted the pilot light.

I was watching him the whole time, and NOW I KNOW the process to cleaning and adjusting the burners. Seems so easy after I watched him do it.

It costed me about $112 dolloars, $65 just for the service tech to be there, and about $45 for the 30 minute labor charge.

I was asking the servicetech what if the cleaning didn't resolve the "flameout" (as he called it) condition, then what next?

He advised there could be many things that can be wrong, but his first approach would be to replace the burners then if issue persists, perhaps the gas valve would be next to replace.

Does that sound right? I am just wondering. It seems like replacing the burners and gas valve myself can be done and I can save much money if I ordered the parts on-line.

Well, thanks again, the $112 lesson on how to clean the burners was not bad as I got to learn a lot from the service tech, and the burners now behave as expected.

BTW: I did install CO monitors as advised, 2 in fact, one upstairs in addition to the one downstairs. Thanks again