Trane XV95 Questions

Old 12-16-07, 06:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XV95 Questions

I live in Ottawa (Canada) and just had a Trane XV95 furnace installed. I have a few questions -- hopefully someone can help out:

1. While putting the filter in I noticed through the front of the furnace a green light flashing -- am I to assume this means normal operation? I could not find anything in the manual.

2. Seeing as it's a 2 stage furnace, I notice that the 2nd stage comes on quite a bit. I know there are setting the installer should setup, but how do I know if this is properly set?

thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-07, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by shamusom
1. While putting the filter in I noticed through the front of the furnace a green light flashing -- am I to assume this means normal operation? I could not find anything in the manual.
Yes, the fast flashing green means call for heat, and slow flash shows it's got power. Red will flash every now and then showing that it is working, but when the red LED flash steady, then it's a fault code.

2. Seeing as it's a 2 stage furnace, I notice that the 2nd stage comes on quite a bit. I know there are setting the installer should setup, but how do I know if this is properly set?
Sounds like you don't have a two stage t-stat matching up with your furnace... When you have two stage stat, is only when it's very cold out, or recovery from set back.

If you look on the board in the blower area, If you see a jumper wire from W1 to W2, then it's going on a timer.

If you have any more questions, please let me know, I'd be more than happy to help! :-)

Old 12-16-07, 07:46 AM
S
Sounds like you don't have a two stage t-stat matching up with your furnace... When you have two stage stat, is only when it's very cold out, or recovery from set back.

If you look on the board in the blower area, If you see a jumper wire from W1 to W2, then it's going on a timer.
Thanks for your reply. I do have a t-stat matching up with my furnace -- I have the trane matching one. I do notice the 2 stages -- I hear the first stage come on, but then I notice second stage comes on quite a bit, not all the time, but quite a lot. I am just wondering what the parameters are for initiating the 2nd stage. Should I call the installer back? I don't want to make an unnecessary call.

thanks again..

Old 12-16-07, 07:49 AM
Is the t-stat a two stage t-stat? TCON802/803?

When 2nd stage comes on, does it go back to 1st stage, or shuts down after 2nd stage has run?

Old 12-16-07, 07:52 AM
S
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Is the t-stat a two stage t-stat? TCON802/803?

When 2nd stage comes on, does it go back to 1st stage, or shuts down after 2nd stage has run?
It goes back to first again, then shuts off. (Well, I am 99% sure -- I'll have to listen again next time, but I am pretty sure it goes from Stage 1, then I hear it go up to stage 2, then back down to stage 1).

Old 12-16-07, 08:53 AM
What are your temp setting, and outdoors temp?

In advance settings, 240, and 250, what is it set to?

Old 12-16-07, 09:16 AM
S
What are your temp setting, and outdoors temp?

In advance settings, 240, and 250, what is it set to?
I have the TCONT800 and I don't see those numbers in the advance settings. Even in the manual I don't see 24, and 250. The outdoor temperature is -20 degrees celcius.

Old 12-16-07, 11:08 AM
To get into advance settings. tap on the heat/cool till it flashes, then press on the 3rd and 5th button from the left. then the screen will change into advance settings.

Old 12-16-07, 03:09 PM
S
To get into advance settings. tap on the heat/cool till it flashes, then press on the 3rd and 5th button from the left. then the screen will change into advance settings.
I can get into the advance settings, I just don't see those specific numbers: 240, 250. There are a number of other ones, but not those.

Old 12-16-07, 04:01 PM
S
OK... I got it... I saw 240 -- it is set to 5. There is no 250 though. What should that number be?

thanks!

Old 12-16-07, 04:43 PM
Go back into the set up, go to 170, let me know what you got set up on that one.

240 and 250 should be set to 3.

Old 12-17-07, 04:15 AM
S
Go back into the set up, go to 170, let me know what you got set up on that one.

240 and 250 should be set to 3.
OK.. 170 is set to: 1

Out of curiosity, what are these numbers changing? Are these documented anywhere? Furnace manual?

thanks again.

Old 12-17-07, 05:40 AM
Here is the manual.

With your setting to 1, it's a single stage t-stat, and furnace is going on a timer, sounds like it in the first place as I figured your problem was.

Pop the t-stat off, and find for sure what model of t-stat you got. If you got TCONT802/3 then change that setting to 9 (Two stage heating, 1 stage cooling). Also let me know what wires are hooked up where.. Exp. Y-Yellow, R-Red... ect.

If you got a TCONT801, look behind the wall to see if you got any extra wires that can be used.

Old 12-17-07, 01:36 PM
S
Here is the manual.

With your setting to 1, it's a single stage t-stat, and furnace is going on a timer, sounds like it in the first place as I figured your problem was.

Pop the t-stat off, and find for sure what model of t-stat you got. If you got TCONT802/3 then change that setting to 9 (Two stage heating, 1 stage cooling). Also let me know what wires are hooked up where.. Exp. Y-Yellow, R-Red... ect.

If you got a TCONT801, look behind the wall to see if you got any extra wires that can be used.
On the back it say TCONT800AS11AAA -- All the wires are hooked up: Red, White, Orage, Green, Black.

So, the only setting I should change should be:
170: 9
240: 3

Correct? Wonder why the installer did not do all this. Worries me. I wonder if I should call them and ask.

thanks so much.

Old 12-17-07, 05:02 PM
On the back it say TCONT800AS11AAA
That is a single stage t-stat. You won't be able to get two stage on this t-stat.. You want the TCONT802

All the wires are hooked up: Red, White, Orage, Green, Black.
What letters are these on?
Red-R
White-W1
Green-G
Orange-?
Black-?

Do you have more wires behind the wall?

So, the only setting I should change should be:
170: 9
240: 3
The 170, you won't be able to change since this t-stat don't allow you. But do change the 240 to 3

Wonder why the installer did not do all this. Worries me. I wonder if I should call them and ask.
I honestly don't know... They either don't know what kind of comfort you can get with a TRUE two stage t-stat, being cheap, or you don't have enough wire in the wall.

It may not hurt to give them a call and find out why they didn't put in a two stage t-stat with that nice two stage furnace..

Right now, you are going on a timer. the board don't care what the time is, if the furnace runs more than 10-15 min, it's going to fire off on 2nd stage.

You are NOT getting the comfort with that.. I know my parents were having the same thing as you were, and I upgraded them into the two stage t-stat, mom said it made the house feel far more comfortable! The basement is even warmer too.

Old 12-17-07, 05:09 PM
S
That is a single stage t-stat. You won't be able to get two stage on this t-stat.. You want the TCONT802

What letters are these on?
Red-R
White-W1
Green-G
Orange-?
Black-?

Do you have more wires behind the wall?

The 170, you won't be able to change since this t-stat don't allow you. But do change the 240 to 3

I honestly don't know... They either don't know what kind of comfort you can get with a TRUE two stage t-stat, being cheap, or you don't have enough wire in the wall.

It may not hurt to give them a call and find out why they didn't put in a two stage t-stat with that nice two stage furnace..

Right now, you are going on a timer. the board don't care what the time is, if the furnace runs more than 10-15 min, it's going to fire off on 2nd stage.

You are NOT getting the comfort with that.. I know my parents were having the same thing as you were, and I upgraded them into the two stage t-stat, mom said it made the house feel far more comfortable! The basement is even warmer too.
Thanks again for your help. I have contacted the installers and will hopefully get an answer tomorrow. I am really disappointed in them that they did not give me a T-STAT that is 2 stage compatible -- I specifically asked for one that is compatible.

Old 12-17-07, 06:58 PM
Keep us posted on what your results are.

Old 12-18-07, 06:07 PM
Moved it here from my Pvt. Msg.

"Hi There..

Here is the response from the installer. I talked to him for quite a while. I was impressed with his answer. He explained everything in detail -- here was his email answer. What do you think. I don't think I will switch based on this. He says most people in his office have the exact same setup as I do. There is so much information out there.

Here it is:

It was decided at that time to go with the TCONT800 thermostat which is a single stage heat and single stage cool thermostat. The comment that it is not suited for a two stage furnace is incorrect.

The furnace always starts on low stage and depending on the dipswitch setting for dipswitch #1 & #2, it will go to 2nd stage after the initial 1st stage setting. See item #1 below.

Over 95% of the thermostats which we sell with two stage furnaces are either new single stage thermostats or reusing existing single stage thermostats.

The reason we do so are as follows:

1. The furnace itself is adjustable for how soon 2nd stage kicks in and has 4 settings; on in 30 seconds, on in 5 minutes, on in 10 minutes or on in 14 minutes. The installers will routinely set these for either 5 or 10 minutes. What this means is that if the call for heat is satisfied within the 1st stage time frame, the furnace will not go to 2nd stage. 2nd stage is only initiated if the furnace runs for a longer length of time of the 1st stage setting, such as coming out of setback or if the temperature is raised manually substantially or if it is extremely cold outside. Even if it is extremely cold it will still start on 1st stage before going to 2nd stage.

2. If a 2 stage thermostat such as the TCONT802 or 803 is used, the timing feature of the furnace is disabled and the thermostat isfree to initiate a 2nd stage call in as little as 30 seconds, particularly if you
override the setting. If anything the 2 stage thermostat would have you going to 2nd stage more often than the single stage thermostat which you purchased.

The TCONT802 or 803 are much more complicated and more costly thermostats and they can override how long the thermostat stays in 1st stage before
going to 2nd stage, they do not keep it from going to 2nd stage. The outdoor sensor for the 802 & 803 is an option which can be added but it again adds additional cost to the installation of the thermostat as well as additional wiring.

Rest assured that if we thought that the 2 stage thermostat was a better and more costly option for you that we would have sold it to you.

If you wish either the TCONT802 or 803 installed rather than what is currently installed we will be happy to come and replace the existing at
extra cost, and as noted above the outdoor sensor if wished and the associated wiring for same would also be extra."

Old 12-18-07, 06:22 PM
1. The furnace itself is adjustable for how soon 2nd stage kicks in and has 4 settings; on in 30 seconds, on in 5 minutes, on in 10 minutes or on in 14 minutes.
True, you can change the dip switches for 2nd stage time.

The installers will routinely set these for either 5 or 10 minutes. What this means is that if the call for heat is satisfied within the 1st stage time frame, the furnace will not go to 2nd stage. 2nd stage is only initiated if the furnace runs for a longer length of time of the 1st stage setting, such as coming out of setback or if the temperature is raised manually substantially or if it is extremely cold outside. Even if it is extremely cold it will still start on 1st stage before going to 2nd stage.
True, but what would your rather have, a furnace respond faster to the temp change say from set back, or someone lft the front door open? Or, sit there and wait 10 min to get the extra "ump" of heat.

2. If a 2 stage thermostat such as the TCONT802 or 803 is used, the timing feature of the furnace is disabled and the thermostat is free to initiate a 2nd stage call in as little as 30 seconds, particularly if you override the setting.
Again, I'd rather have the t-stat give the respond as needed, not a timer.

If anything the 2 stage thermostat would have you going to 2nd stage more often than the single stage thermostat which you purchased.
False. Only time my 2nd stage ever kicks in is in recovery mode, or if it's -10˚F outside. Otherwise, in the normal mode, it's runs in 1st stage all day when it's running.

Seeing as it's a 2 stage furnace, I notice that the 2nd stage comes on quite a bit.

You yourself, you are noticeing that it times out in 1st stage and is going into 2nd stage often.

The TCONT802 or 803 are much more complicated and more costly thermostats
Complicated??? Not! Same thing as you got now, just an extra wire/termial for W2.

The outdoor sensor for the 802 & 803 is an option which can be added but it again adds additional cost to the installation of the thermostat as well as additional wiring.
Not needed for your gas only heat.. if you had a heat pump, then yes.

Rest assured that if we thought that the 2 stage thermostat was a better and more costly option for you that we would have sold it to you.
Two stage stat is better, no questions asked.

------

There is a guy on here who was kinda in the same thing as you, he just went and got himself a two stage t-stat, and he said he notice the house is far more comfortable, and nice long run time in 1st stage, never saw 2nd stage.. just in extream temps..

A longer run time in 1st stage is much easier on the furnace, than cycling on and off , on and off, 1st, 2nd.. ect..

Trust me.. two stage t-stat is well worth the extra money!

Old 12-18-07, 08:42 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I absolutely agree with Jay.

I have a Robertshaw multi-stage thermostat and when recovering from setback it locks out the second stage until 20 minutes before the time setting for the higher programmed temperature.

Since retirement I have been running my thermostat in manual mode and the only time it goes to the second stage is when I push it from (about) 62 to 68 upon getting out of bed in the morning.

Old 12-26-07, 02:34 PM
W
How System Operates (what controls what?)

Jay,

Can you explain to me how my system works? I have a Trane XL16i heat pump, an XL-90 propane furnace and a Honeywell TZ-4 zone controller. Each of the two zones uses a Honeywell 8321 thermostat. Propane is used for both emergency heat and auxilliary heat.

Specifically what controls the two stages of the heat pump, what controls the two stages of propane heat and what controls the speed of the fan? I think I understand a little of how it works, but not all of it. The TZ-4 is set up to switch to stage 2 after 20 minutes, so it appears that it is what switches the XL-16i to stage 2. But, I don't have a wire on the W3 terminal of the TZ-4, so what switches the XV-90 to stage 2? Also, which emergency heat switch controls the system, the thermostat switch or the zone controller switch?

Finally should I have a jumper between W1 and W3? Since I am using propane for both emergency heat and auxilliary heat it would seem that the jumper is needed.

Can one display the outside temperature on the thermostats? I have humidity displays, but not outside temperature. The outside temp sensor is connected to the zone controller, so perhaps I would need two additional sensors.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Old 12-26-07, 02:37 PM
W
How System Works

Sorry, that should have been an XV-90.

Fred

Old 12-26-07, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by WA0GMH
Specifically what controls the two stages of the heat pump
The t-stat will control both stages in Heat Pump mode, and Cooling.

what controls the two stages of propane heat
The timer on the zone board... (If W1 and W2 isn't jumpered on the furnace, and W1 and W2 is tied to the board's W1/W3.) I would push the time on the board out 45 Min.

If W2 and W1 is not wired to the board, and there is a jumper on the furnace, then it's about 15 min, Depends on if your furnace has s dips switch for 2nd stage time. (may vary)

Only time the W1(Gas) is going to fire off if the t-stat falls behind, or when the outdoor temps falls below what ever the Duel Fuel setting is set at. I'd shoot for 15˚, if you find that the home is "warm" as you'd like it to be, bump it up to 20˚. Then after X amount of time, 2nd stage kicks in.

what controls the speed of the fan?
The furnace itself.

I don't have a wire on the W3 terminal of the TZ-4, so what switches the XV-90 to stage 2?
W3 should be wired to W2 at the furnace, Remove jumper between W2 and W1 at the furnace.

Also, which emergency heat switch controls the system, the thermostat switch or the zone controller switch?
YOu can do it at both spot.

Finally should I have a jumper between W1 and W3?
No.

Since I am using propane for both emergency heat and auxilliary heat it would seem that the jumper is needed.
No. Gas should NOT be fired if the Heat pump itself is running. Dip switch S5 #8 on zone board should be in OFF.

Do you have a duct discharge temp sensor?

Can one display the outside temperature on the thermostats? I have humidity displays, but not outside temperature. The outside temp sensor is connected to the zone controller, so perhaps I would need two additional sensors.
Yes, you would need another set of sensor to read outdoor temp.

Old 12-26-07, 08:05 PM
W
System Operatio

Thanks. I'm going to have to look at it closer tomorrow. We are visiting relatives in Southern Nebraska and are going to stop in SD (location of new system) on the way back to MN. From what I could find in the documentation, the TZ-4 is set up to control second stage heating and cooling with the heat pump using timing. The DIP switches can be set up to have the thermostate control it, timer control or the percent of zones calling for heat or cooling. I do have a temperature sensor on the plenum, so I assumed that the propane could come on as aux heat when the heat pump was running, but it would shut off the heat pump or propane (couldn't tell which one) when the temperature got too high. I have a pot on the TZ-4 board that lets me set the temp below which the heat pump won't come on. Below that temp, the emergency heat light lights and the system runs only the propane furnace.

What seemed logical is for the heat pump to come on at stage one, then switch to stage two if stage one couldn't reach or maintain the set point temp. If stage two couldn't hold the temp, then it would seem that the aux heat should come on. This is my first experience with a zoned system, so I'm still learning.

Thannks again,

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: