Gas furnace burners don't all light

Old 11-30-07, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace burners don't all light

I've got a York gas furnace with 5 burners. Sometimes, when it lights, only 4 burners light. The one on the end, furthest from the gas valve doesn't light. It's also the one with the flame sensor, so when it doesn't light, the furnace locks out. I took the burner orifice out, and it's not blocked. What's wrong? Am I not getting enough gas flow to reach the end of the pipe manifold? How do I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-07, 06:13 PM
could be a couple things. 1 it could be dirty and you need to blow it out. i use a compressor reg'd down to about 40psi or you might not be getting enouph gas pressure out of the valve. without a manometer its hard for you to know. if i had to guess i'd say you had dirt and lint build up in the burner tube and it needs to be blown out and cleaned

Old 12-01-07, 04:39 PM
similar problem

I have a gaffers & sattler Model U80 unit installed at home, it is over 30 years old, it has 2 burner tubes, when I turn the heater on sometimes only the tube closest to the valve turns on, also there is a small flame coming out of the opening at the beginning of the second tube, it looks like it is thru a "breathing" opening; should I remove the valve with the tubes and pilot to clean them? I also noticed the flame in the pilot a little bigger than normal, I tried to adjust it with no lock. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-26-07, 06:43 PM
fixed, I think

I borrowed a manometer, and the gas pressure was fine. I had checked the burner orifice before, and it was clean. This time, I took a closer look at the metal finned gizmo that directs the gas out of the orifice. The end where the flame ignites, or is supposed to, has a groove in it. These finned devices line up, one for each orifice, over to the glow plug that lights the gas for the first orifice. I thought, the flame must travel down the groove from the first to the last orifice's fin device. So I removed the fin device from the orifice next to the last (which sometimes wouldn't light). Sure enough, there was rust in the groove, making it hard for the flame to travel down to the end orifice. I removed all the finned devices and cleaned out the groove. I've had no more problems. Thanks for the advice.