Gas Wall Furnace Question

Old 12-01-07, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Gas Wall Furnace Question

I hope this is the correct forum. I did not see one for natural convection (no fan) gas wall furnace.

I have obtained one that was working fine when removed and would like to install it. Installing isn't the problem. The furnace was originally designed to heat rooms on both sides of the wall it was installed in. The room on the other side of the only available wall I can install it in is unused and therefore I don't want to waste gas heating it. The covers on both sides have full vents bottom to top. Can I safely block the vents in the cover on the side I do not wish to heat with sheet metal?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wall Furnace

Is this an unvented appliance? If so, I do not suggest installing it. The sale of these heaters has been outlawed in many states & hopefully soon nationally.

If vented, please supply a make & model so we can try to find a manual for it. Without seeing the heater or a manual, I would have to say, no it is not alright to block off one side. To do so would likely result in overheating of the appliance.

Old 12-02-07, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Grady.

If unvented, throw it out. If vented, blocking off the vents will likely ruin the heat exchanger at the least.

These wall heaters aren't like central heating furnaces where you can shut off one vent on the ductwork. They are usually all or nothing.

Old 12-02-07, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yes it is vented. Came up with a better solution to the problem. I'd had it for sometime but hadn't realized it essentially had two heat exchangers and two burners. That made my original idea really unsafe. Thanks for the replies.

P.S. been using unvented gas heaters for most of my life. Over 30 in this house. Don't disagree about potential for harm but have enough sense not to go crazy with, caulk, and weather stripping or eliminate all drafts. This is actually therefore a move up for me.

Old 12-03-07, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray

We are all glad to hear you are moving from unvented to vented heating equipment. If you can lay hands on a manual for the wall heater, please follow the manufacture's intallation instructions. They are there to not only protect his equipment but your life & property as well. You may be able to find one on the web.

Old 12-06-07, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, searched the furnace from stem to stern and no manufacturers ID and the person I got it from had no manual. It was already in the house when bought. The millivolt control was recently replaced so probably doesn't indicate furnace manufacturer. Best guess is furnace is circa 1950 plus/minus 10 years.

Since I don't have the original installation instructions I would like to go over my installation plans to see if you spot any obvious mistakes in what I plan to do.

I plan to fully remove the top stud plate in the stud bay it is to be installed in. There is no ceiling joist that will interfere.

I have oval double wall vent pipe that transitions to round. That pipe will extend up into the attic and be connected to additional length of double wall vent pipe. (still to be determined minimum height above roof peak 5 feet away. approximate roof pitch 4' per 10')

Heater was made for a 16" stud bay but my stud bay is 24". A bit of over safety engineering perhaps but I plan to use metal studs to reduce the space equally on each side of the wood studs. Heater will be attached with original brackets to metal studs. Burners will be about 10" off the floor.

Again perhaps a bit of safety overkill (but you can't really be to safe can you) since the house is block and beam I plan to drill a series of 2" holes through the floor of the stud bay to the unenclosed space under the house to provide at least part of the combustion air and to aid in venting heat out of the stud bay. I was planing three hole under the heater and one on each side between the original wood studs and new metal studs.

I have an existing gas line less about three feet away. Connection will be black iron and a flex connector at the heater.

Now for a question. When I got the heater the wall thermostat was included. I notice it is a low voltage thermostat not a millivolt thermostat. Person I got it from said it worked fine. Any advantage in switching to a millivolt thermostat? Current thermostat has a mercury switch.

Old 12-08-07, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry for the delay

Things got a bit crazy & I'm just getting caught up.

Since this heater is used, I would advise you contact a qualified service person to examine it completely before you install it. It would be a terrible waste of time, effort, & materials to install a furnace only to find out later it is cracked. Not to mention the danger of possible carbon monoxide poisioning.

I would look into a digital thermostat. Some can be used with either a millivolt or 24 volt system. Please dispose of your old thermostat properly. Many supply houses will take it & return the old stat to a certified mercury recycler.

Old 12-08-07, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for the reply. Actually the furnace was throughly checked out just before I got it hence the new millivolt controller. However soon after the window AC went out and the owner decided to install central heat and air.