4minute shutdown for Rudd Gas Furnace

Old 12-02-07, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4minute shutdown for Rudd Gas Furnace

I have a 1990? Rudd gas furnace Model UGKA 10EA GS, serial number NN5D307 F0940 4643 with Robert Shaw controller 100-00812 (34PL 308A) call for heat starts draft blower which runs 20 sec, HSI glows 15 seconds, gas valve opens and burner ignites. HSI turns off and furnace and blower run fine for about
4 minutes and then gas valve shuts off. Exhaust blower continues to run and the whole cycle repeats 3 times (I think).There is no remote flame sensor to clean, How does the control board know that the burner is on? Why does the valve stay open for 3 or 4 minutes and then shut off? Do I need a new control board?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does the circulating fan come on? Is the air filter clean & all registers open & not blocked? What type of thermostat?

Old 12-02-07, 04:41 PM
It sounds like what you're saying is the burners lite, the circulating fan runs for about 4 minutes, then it shut off and very shortly afterwrds the burner goes off? Is that the sequence you are experiencing?

Old 12-03-07, 10:05 AM
Most hard disk ignitors also are used as a flame sensor too. They are bi-directional, they heat up with current when energized, then when they are not energized they send a signal back to the brain (controller) to let it know that the main burners are on. I would remove the HDI and examine it real closely for pitting, cracks, chips. I would say that there is probably more than a 75% chance of it being bad. One more thing, I bet that the problem doesn't happen ALL the time, right? Good luck. Charlie

Old 12-03-07, 08:18 PM
http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue...%20Control.htm

is this your ignition control board?
place i found it is just a random search. i do not know this place at all.

Old 12-04-07, 01:06 PM
20 minutes shut down for Gas furnace

I found one problem, a bad connection to the door switch. I fixed that, cleaned the air filter, checked all the electrical connections. Furnace now runs up to 20 minutes and then the gas valves clicks on and off very rapidly 2 to four times and then the burner goes out. The exhaust blower and the circulating blower continues to run (indefinitely?). If the power is turned off and back on, the normal ignition sequences starts and everything runs normally for another 20 minutes. I also noticed that once the thermostat reaches the proper temperature the burner shuts off, the circulating fan shuts off after a few minutes but the exhaust blower continues to run indefinitely. Is the exhaust blower relay sticking in the closed position? Can the relay be cleaned or do I need to replace it? Where is the relay? On the Ignition control board or on the circulating blower control board?

Old 12-04-07, 01:35 PM
Tell us about the thernostat. Is it digital? What is the brand and model#

Old 12-04-07, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ignition Control Board

Does the board have any kind of diagnostic light which blinks a code when the gas valve clicks & shuts down?

Old 12-04-07, 09:27 PM
put a voltmeter on the com and 24v of the gas valve. whats it doing when it flickers?

Old 12-09-07, 12:05 AM
4 minute shutdown for Rudd gas furnace

Thanks for all your help. I tried all your suggestions but to no avail. I purchased a replacement White Rodgers HSI control board and the ignition problems are all solved.
Thanks very much for your input I appreciate it very much.
God bless you all,
Gene

Last edited by genew; 12-09-07 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Typos