pilot light will not stay lit

Old 12-03-07, 05:00 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pilot light will not stay lit

i have a fairly new (2 or 3 years old) comfort glow wall heater, vent free. it went out in the middle of the night last week and now the pilot light refuses to stay lit. i have cleaned it (with compressed air and a vaccuum), replaced the thermocouple (twice! in case i screwed it too tight the first time) but i cannot figure out the problem. the ignitor works great, the flame is blue, except for the occasional crackle of orange but i can't think of which part might still be dirty. am i missing something obvious? (oh, and i have another heater, a propane fireplace that works just fine, though they both blew out the same night, but the fireplace relit just fine. and there is only one gas line) thanks.

Old 12-03-07, 05:51 PM
D
The orange color is just some dust in the air burning. It refuses to stay lit as in it goes out right away or it stays lit for a while then dies? How is the t-couple positioned in the pilot flame? The end should be enveloped in the flame. At www.comfortglow.com here is a link to wall heaters like yours which takes you to a master distributors website. There, I rooted around and found a parts link which took me to a link that included some service literature. In the service manual under a vent free heaters heading, they show a pilot cold choke and how to adjust it. They also explain how the pilot oxygen sensing works. You might try downloading the manual and checking that. Let us know how you make out.

http://www.desatech.com/heating.cgi?...Wall%20Heaters

Last edited by daddyjohn; 12-03-07 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add web address
Old 12-03-07, 06:05 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is your pilot flame engulfing the thermocouple, or barely touching it?

Old 12-03-07, 06:13 PM
E
t-couple update

the thermocouple is enveloped in flame about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. the pilot goes out as soon as i release the knob. i tried adjusting the cold choke but i'm not sure i've got the right flap, the directions said there would be a half moon shutter...no shutter just a flap, and it sticks straight out from the pilot with no curve. however, it was away from the pilot assembly so i bent it closer...and this strip is attached from the opposite end of the pilot assembly. my model (cg10p) does not seem to exist on desatech's website)

Old 12-03-07, 06:49 PM
E
more information

ok, i found out why i was having a hard time with the cold choke adjustment. it would appear from the cleaning instructions on the desa website that I have a copreci pilot style two (or a hump-backed pilot). the flap and the way it attaches to the pilot is the same as the hump-backed version (there is not 1/8 inch gap or bend in the metal in my model like the first copreci version) however, there is no hump-backed part to my flap, it's just straight. what does this mean for cold choke adjustment? i can't find my owners manual on the website (we just bought this house a month ago and the previous owner did not leave a manual) because my model is not listed on their website. and it's getting cold...and i'm getting frustrated...thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: