furnace not cooperating!

Old 12-04-07, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace not cooperating!

I have a trane xe 90 power vent furnace.At times the system appears to work fine. However more and more the furnace seems to start blowing cold air. I check the codes for trbl shooting and it tells me system lockout.Per the manual it says, If flame loss occurs during heating cycle; When the flame is not present @ sensor the flame cntrl. module will close the gas valve. The flame cntrl module will recycle the ignition sequence. If ignition is not achieved it will shut off gas valve and lockout system. O.K ! However what is causing the flame to go out? I try to restart the system and the ignitor glows properly and the flames fire but after 3-5 seconds the flames go out. Whats up?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 11:37 AM
Clean Flame sensor

For a start , clean the flame sensor with sandpaper. If the flame sensor doesn't detect the flame the gas valve is shut off after 2 sec

Old 12-04-07, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by genew View Post
For a start , clean the flame sensor with sandpaper. If the flame sensor doesn't detect the flame the gas valve is shut off after 2 sec
Alright . Thats a start any recommended grit sand paper ? 100 grit o.k.. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-04-07, 01:34 PM
Don't use sandpaper. Steel wool or a scotchbrite pad are much better. Us e a lot of elbow grease as well. Flame rods get an oxide coating on them that you can't really see.

Old 12-04-07, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Don't use sandpaper. Steel wool or a scotchbrite pad are much better. Us e a lot of elbow grease as well. Flame rods get an oxide coating on them that you can't really see.
Thank you for the additional tip .Your a generous man to assist all the people you do. Hopefully this will work.Thanks again.

Old 01-21-08, 12:51 PM
Trane XE90 Intermitent?

Did cleaning the flame sensor corect your probelem or did you have to replace the gas valve?