Any opinions on Tempstar?

Old 12-05-07, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any opinions on Tempstar?

Found out today I may be looking at buying my first new furnace. The guy that services my furnace says My 21yr old Heil gas furnace (model #NUGE105KG01) is about on its last leg. He says he noticed some roll-out or blow-by. I'd like to know your opinions on the Tempstar brand, and what model I should be looking for, and a ballpark price range for furnace & labor.

My home is in Central-Illinois, and has close to 1200 sq ft. It's a older home, built in the 1920s. I know this is something I could do myself given my background, but my health isn't what it once was years ago. I just hate the thought of getting screwed over.

Any advice you could give me in this venture would sure be appreciated.

p.s. can someone tell by my old furnace number, how many BTU's it is?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-07, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tempstar

Tempstar is exactly the same as Heil & Kenmore (Sears). They are a decent, middle of the road furnace. Like any other, installation is key. Your old furnace is 105K btu/hr.
Before buying a new furnace you need to do a heat loss calculation, commonly refered to as "manual J". There is a very good one available online for $50 from: http://hvaccomputer.com
It will be one of the best $50's you ever spent.

Old 12-06-07, 04:48 AM
Tempstar's not a bad unit at all. I've installed several back in the 90's and they're still running today.

I agree with Grady on the manual J. Especially if you go with a higher efficiency unit the btu will drop by as much as 25%.

Old 12-06-07, 08:00 AM
Thank you both for the info. Our furnace guy just left a few minutes ago, and it seems as though they didn't do a very good job of cleaning it out the last few years... or more. They brought a tank of CO2 and blew out the burners which is something I can never remember seeing them do... ever.

Talk about a mess. I could tell by the sound that it was full of crap, and judging by the amount of soot & dust all over the place this hadn't been done last year as they thought they had done. I called him over for a seasonal cleaning and inspection, he was only here a total of about 20 minutes and all he did was blow it out, checked to make sure it started and left. My gut tells me I'm getting short changed here. Am I just paranoid, or is this common for a seasonal furnace check-up?

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-07, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Blowing out Burners

Even blowing out the burners is a short cut. They should be pulled, wire brushed (inside & out), and inspected. It is unfortunate, but fairly common, to get the kind of job you did. Sounds like your first service company REALLY short changed you. The furnace should also be checked with a combustion analyzer, preferably electronic.