Bryant Plus 90 heating stopped

Old 12-06-07, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant Plus 90 heating stopped

hi,
I have a bryant Plus 90 unit in the attic horizental. Last night it stopped working. I'm a little familier with furnaces but no means an experts. I went to the attic to check it out. I opened the cover and everything looked ok. there was a switch (on/off) which i toggled, it looks like its coming from gas pipe. nothing happened. When i engage the theromostat, the unit starts, but it seems that its not igniting. I hear the sound of gas being released, (like an deflating tire), but nothing happens. Then it tries to do it again, and then the whole unit stops. I can run the blower, but again, only circulates air and no hot air comes out.

Before i call a pro that will charge $$$$, what else can do to further diagnose? What parts am i looking at replacing? If i cant do it myself, i would like to at least have an intelligent covnersation with the pro!!!!!

I do appreciate your feedback.

PS (if you ask why in the attic, well, I have 2 units, 1 in the attic and one in the basement)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-07, 02:29 PM
Hi D:

What kind of ignition does the furnace have? Does it have a glow coil that lights the main burners or a spark type system?
If it's a glow coil, can you see it glowing?

Old 12-06-07, 04:54 PM
How to find out if spark or coil?

I'm not sure how to answer, i looked at it and could not determine. But i can confirm, the gas is released but does not ignite.

I took picutre and can send them or if someone explains how to post them.

Old 12-06-07, 06:10 PM
Is the basement unit the same make and model? If so, watch it run and maybe you'll get an idea. It sounds like you have a hot surface ignition system which the glow coil/bar type system. There should be a glow coil/bar mounted adjacent to the burners. It heats up and ignites the gas.

www.arnoldservice.com sells the ones for Carrier/Bryant online. Check out their website to see what the part looks like then look in your furnace again. Glow coil/bar failures are common: it's a fairly easy DIY fix.

Old 12-06-07, 07:00 PM
Thanks, the issue described on www.arnoldservice.com is pretty much what i'm facing. I will look again and get the right parts. Your help is much appreciated.

I will report back once done.