Ignitor continuously sparks, after burners light

Old 12-09-07, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ignitor continuously sparks, after burners light

I have a Bryant gas furnace which is making sounds I never noticed before. I have listed the sequence of events below.

A call for heat is issued by thermostat.
Ignitor starts to spark.
Pilot lights with no trouble.
Ignitor continues to spark.
Cranking sound is made just before main burners ignite, much like cracking a washing machine's cycle dial.
Main burners ignite with no trouble.
Ignitor continues to spark, while burners are on, until thermostat shuts off heat.

The furnace heats without any problems. Can anyone help explain the cracking sound or why the ignitor keeps sparking?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-07, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ignitor business sounds like the ignition control just doesn't know it should stop the sparking. You would think the flame -is- being sensed because if it weren't you'd think the pilot would go out. But I'm not 100% sure on your model. You could try to remove this pilot assembly out of the burner and try to clean up anything that senses the flame, whether it be a seperate rod next to the pilot or if the hood is used to do the sensing. Also make sure the assembly is grounded properly and ignition control is grounded. If that does not do it, I'd have to say something is stuck in the ignition control itself of which either you live with this til it burns out or get another one. There really is nothing else with the furnace that can make the spark turn off once it has come on.

Regarding the cranking sound: Like a ratcheting of a washer timer sound? I don't know what that could be. If I were in your shoes I would go into especially the big panel of the furnace and carefully listen, observe (to see if spark is shortcircuiting to something besides burner area), and also feel parts to tell if I can pick up on what is making that noise. I would be feeling relays, sequencer, gas valve, pressure switch, ignition control module - to name the main things.