Delayed Ignition problem

Old 12-10-07, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delayed Ignition problem

Hi,

I live in a mobile home and seem to be having a delayed ignition problem. There is a longer delay than usual from the blower starting to when the "heater" turns on, and after it does ignite, there is a loud bang along with the smell of kerosene. I'm assuming its unburnt kerosene.

We have had a technician up here and he found water in the lines, but added a solution. Didn't fix it. He changed the pump, found no water, and was ok for a few days, but didn't fix it.

My question is, we had to change the draft cap, but couldn't get an EXACT replacement, except a universal. The problem has been persisting for over a week now. Is the draft cap the problem, allowing too much draft into the vent and now allowing the furnace to ignite on time?

The Furnace is a Miller and was installed when the home was new back in 1988, but it has had almost everything new in it, now with a Carlin igniter system.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-07, 06:40 PM
It could be a burner setup problem. Or a dirty nozzle. Even though the nozzle was changed yesterday, it may be clogged today. It is the smallest nozzle made and if you had water, you have sludge. It only takes a tiny amount of sludge to clog that nozzle. Also, don't rule out the Carlin ignitor because it is new. I woud actually suspect it first because they are not working out to be as trouble free as we were initially told. A nozzle line filter may be a wise investment. Water remover will not take more than a few ounces of water out of a fuel tank. So if you had water, you probably still do. Look for sparklers in the fire and you will know the water is still there. Post back if you need more ideas or help.

Ken

Old 12-10-07, 06:47 PM
Its not a consistent problem which has me confused. Here's a bit more info that I have thought of.

The nozzle is new, but, I know what you're saying. Right now, there is snow on the ground (living in NH) so its hard to remember how the line is run.

When the technician had it apart, I saw the igniter and it didn't look in the best of shapes, though the electrodes appear to be fine.

Like I said, it had gotten better after the new pump was put in, but now it seems worse, but its not consistent any longer. It use to only do it at night, and it still seems to be doing it at night only.

Old 12-14-07, 12:26 AM
Smile Loud Bang

hi tj
I'm not familiar with Mobile Home Heaters, yet I think that loud bang comes from the flame not reaching the burners in time.

It's a build up of Gas that finally ignites.

Depending on how many Burners are in your Heater, the flame travels through a kind of tunnel past the 1st Burner and ignites it, and continues to travel to the next burner and ignites it, and so on, to the next burner.

Sometimes Spider mites or dust gets accumulated in the pipe which restricts the the lighting flow (essentialy slowing the down the lighting of the burners) That delay causes a gas build-up and when the flame reaches the burner you get that loud bang like an explosion.

I watched a Gas Co Technician once spraying water into the pipe and then heating it with a torch to boil the water. He said that cleans out the pipe. Then he took a blower to dry out the remaining water.

The pipe in this case looked like a squashed piece of aluminium pipe with a razor thin opening on top to allow for cleaning. I don't know what you have, but I hope by passing this knowledge on it may be of help.

Old 12-14-07, 05:00 AM
demax is describing a gas furnace and I believe you have an oil furnace.

Ken

Old 12-14-07, 07:11 PM
The problem turned out to be the electrodes were ruined. Problem got worse into Thursday, and a technician came back and changed the electrodes.

And yes, it is a kerosene oil furnace.