Updraft for a downdraft installation?

Old 12-12-07, 07:23 AM
Updraft for a downdraft installation?

I have a leaky heat exchanger in my Nordyne CFM9008-00448 64kBTU gas furnace. I've been offered a Komfortmaker 50kBTU gas furnace that is shorter, but deeper. I can modify the alcove to fit it in. Can the new furnace which has the ducting hooked up in the top be used in my mobile home with the ducting in the floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-07, 10:26 AM
Depends on what the model# is.. some newer furnace can be changed over, but most basic stuff can NOT be switched over.

Report back on what the model # is.

Old 12-12-07, 02:01 PM
The Comfortmaker is probably not rated for use in a mobile home. No, you can't use an upflow furnace [duct on top] in place of a downflow furnace [duct on bottom]. You're probably going to have to buy a new Nordyne.

Old 12-12-07, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nordyne CMF

In a mobile home you MUST use a furnace approved for that application. Failure to do so could result in a dangerous situation & your insurance would not pay for damages. Miller & Intertherm are made by Nordyne & the CMFmodel is still available. If you are going to be in the home 10+ years, I strongly suggest a Thermo-Pride mobile home furnace. It is a direct swap for the CMF.

Old 12-12-07, 08:14 PM
Thank you very much for your replies.

I can't get the model of the Comfortmaker unless I drive 5 hours to see it. I think I'll look into getting a Thermo-Pride.