furnace cycles every few min

Old 12-13-07, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace cycles every few min

hi, i live in a 3000sq ft (including basement) quad. i have an air-ease ultra V tech 80. bought the house new 6 yrs ago. just installed an he260 humdifier and have now just been paying attention to the furnace cycles. noticed that the furnace cycle on for 5-9 min then off for 7-10. i have a honeywell t-stat model 32207501-002 Rev. B (only numbers of it). is this normal?
thanks rick.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 11:42 AM
also, the control board is a honeywell ST9160B. thanks

Old 12-13-07, 12:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is normal if the thermostat stops calling for heat and then the flame and ventor stop, and the blower continues to run for a bit recovering more heat to blow out your registers, and then this too stops - and then everything is off, nothing is on at all - and then it comes back on and does this all over again if the thermostat is calling for heat once again.

It can get so cold where I am that during when the blower is recovering the last amount of heat to blow out the registers, the flame comes back on because the place has cooled down already. For that reason is why insulation contractors blow in more insulation, people use spray foam and caulk to fill voids, and plastic or use that peel-away caulk at windows and other openings, or buy better windows, and people have homes built with 6 inch walls, buy high efficient furnace, boilers, or heat pumps - and other measures.

Old 12-13-07, 01:14 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
5 to 10 minutes is way to soon. Something is not right. Insulation? Unit to big?
Id have someone take a look at it. This could be costing you a lot of money.

Old 12-13-07, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
5 to 10 minutes is way to soon.
Too soon for what? Or do you mean it should be running longer? If so, maybe his swing temp is set at 1 degree and his anticipator is set too low. Or maybe heat quickly makes it's way to the thermostat due to his layout of where registers are, and location of the stat.

IMO, with his info void of outside weather conditions and how well his house is insulated, etc., we can't possibly know if there is anything out of the ordinary here for sure. Not if the furnace is running normally. At least it doesn't sound like anything is really wrong (malfunction wrong, that is) with the unit, and some tweaking with some stuff I mentioned may help increase the run time.

Last edited by ecman51; 12-13-07 at 04:29 PM. Reason: reevaluated airman's answer