Loud Bang - how do I clean ignition tube ?

Old 12-14-07, 12:44 AM
Smile Loud Bang - how do I clean ignition tube ?

hi,
I like to know how best to clean out the pipe that carries the lit pilot gas to the burners.

I have an older F/A Furnace, perhaps 15 to 20 years old.
Uses Gas and has a Pilot Light and 3 Burners.

After the pilot ignites Burner #1 the lit gas travels through a pipe that looks like a squashed piece of waffer tube. As the flame reaches Burner #2, it lites it. Then there seems to be a delay by the time the flame reaches Burner #3.
When it finally does, its like an explosion with a loud bang.

I think there is dust or spider mites in the transfer pipe but don't know how best to clean it. Once the 3rd burner lites there are no other problems with the Furnace.

(PS: If there a technical name for that pipe please post it)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 05:00 AM
The burners have to be pulled out and blown out with compressed air or nitrogen.

If it's been a few years since your furnace has been profesionally cleaned and inspected I would highly reccomend having it done. Do not continue running your furnace with delayed ignition. It's very dangerous.

I call it a crossover tube.

Old 12-15-07, 10:28 PM
It may be a number of things

Originally Posted by demax View Post
hi,
I like to know how best to clean out the pipe that carries the lit pilot gas to the burners.

I have an older F/A Furnace, perhaps 15 to 20 years old.
Uses Gas and has a Pilot Light and 3 Burners.

After the pilot ignites Burner #1 the lit gas travels through a pipe that looks like a squashed piece of waffer tube. As the flame reaches Burner #2, it lites it. Then there seems to be a delay by the time the flame reaches Burner #3.
When it finally does, its like an explosion with a loud bang.

I think there is dust or spider mites in the transfer pipe but don't know how best to clean it. Once the 3rd burner lites there are no other problems with the Furnace.

(PS: If there a technical name for that pipe please post it)
Thanks

I had the same issues with a Day & Night Gas Furnace, it has 4 burners and when the 2 on the right side did the same thing as what you have described on your furnace, I wasn't feeling safe ...I posted the situation here and it was recommended I take the burners out to clean them.

I didn't have the confidence to do it myself as I didn't know how to clean burners before. So I called a service tech. The service tech was able to clean all 4 burners, adjusted the pilot light , and burner flames and it costed me $112 dollars...$65 for the tech just to show up and $45 for the half hour work performed.

I watched him all that time and now I know how to clean , and adjust myself for the future....

I think it'll be worth the money to have a service tech come out and take a look....They have all the experience and tools to get the job done right. I would ask around to see what company is honest and of good service in your city or town...