Cold air! Going nuts!!

Old 12-14-07, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Cold air! Going nuts!!

We are renting a house and using the gas heater for the first time. I have watched the sequence a few times and it all appears to be working fine. The flame ignitor seems ok (glows bright orange, then the blue flames ignite), but when the air blows, it is very uncomfortable cold air! The heater is a Tappan G6RA and although I know nothing about heaters, I have gathered a few ideas from this forum. So far, I have checked the filter (actually, I had to install one b/c there wasn't a filter in it at all!!), thoroughly cleaned the flame sensor, made sure the intake vent was clear of anything that may have been blocking it, pressed the reset button (at least I think that was the reset button , but still cold air!! We're freezing and we're college students, so we can't afford to call a repairman...please help! I really appreciate ANY ideas at all! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 05:57 AM
If you are renting then do not mess with it. The owner of the house is responsible.

If he will not fix it then have your rent put into escrow "legally" until it is fixed.

Old 12-14-07, 05:58 AM
You have flame, and still getting cold air?

Is there A/C on this system?

A new t-stat been put in?

If you rent, you don't own the furnace, call the land lord and tell them you need service.

Old 12-14-07, 07:40 AM
Cold air! Still going nuts!!

Yes, the unit has A/C, but I don't think it's the thermostat, because our landlord did send some guy over to look at it yesterday...he tinkered with it and it blew hot air for a few minutes, so he left in his unmarked van along with one of our good screwdrivers...and 2 minutes later it was blowing cold again. I guess we'll have to call the landlord and demand that he send a reputable technician. Thanks for your help! Now I'm off to snuggle under the electric blanket until its fixed

Old 12-14-07, 01:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
[QUOTE=momotime;1276627]... send a reputable technician. [QUOTE]

They can have a tough time too.

But often they have the advantage the handyman does not. They carry spare parts and can try things. Shotgun approach with handymen can be too costly if he were to keep going out buying several new parts until he hits on the right one. And that is not even counting all the trips to the supply house. Electrical parts cannot be returned for a refund.