HELP!! TigerLoop De-Aerator is Screeching!

Old 12-17-07, 12:44 PM
HELP!! TigerLoop De-Aerator is Screeching!

I have a Tiger Loop De-Aerator installed to the side of my oil fired furnace. It has been on there and worked fine and quietly for the past ~5-6 years. As of 2 nights ago whenever the furnace is on and drawing oil it has this loud screeching noise to it. I called TigerLoop and since I am not an installer they will not answer any questions or give any technical information.

Anyone know what this could be and how to make it stop? I can hear it throughout my whole house and all night long!!

Zack

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-07, 01:37 PM
I found this link..

Technical information
http://www.oventrop.de/EN/products/hbtd/08_2122900.pdf

This one has Trouble shooting at the end.
http://www.tigerholm.com/eng/pdf/Olj...010801%20E.pdf

you may already have it.

http://www.fueloilnews.com/uploads/f...5_feature3.asp

But, if air enters the pump it will immediately rise to the top, pushing down the oil level in the strainer chamber and partially uncovering the inlet to the gear set (Diagram 5). The gear set starts gulping air and oil and the pressure becomes unstable, resulting in poor combustion, noise, rumbling, pulsation, etc. If enough air enters, the oil level drops completely below the inlet to the gear set (Diagram 6). Pressure is lost and the burner eventually locks-out.

Info I found... Interesting little device.

Old 12-17-07, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tiger Loop

How's the oil level in the bowl of the Tigerloop during a burn cycle? Any bubbles when the burner is running?

Old 12-17-07, 07:30 PM
The level is high maybe 85% capacity in the clear plastic of the TigerLoop. There are no visible bubbles but it does seem the line that is the return from the burner to the TigerLoop is seeping a bit.

Zack

Old 12-17-07, 07:38 PM
I've read about this problem someplace, and as I recall one thing that will cause the screeching is a failure of a seal on the top of the plastic dome... Wish I could find the link!

Pete

Old 12-19-07, 08:40 AM
I couldnt find anything with a search on a seal for these... Anyone else able to shed some more light? It seems the level of fuel oil in the platic housing was higher this morning than before if that means anything...

Zack

P.S. I also noticed the insulation lining within the furnce is falling off the sides, is that a DIY fix or a serious issue?

Old 12-20-07, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Insulation/Tigerloop

Peel it back as far as you can without tearing, apply silcone caulk to the metal & press the insulation in place.

Do you know how much vacuum the pump is pulling?

Old 12-21-07, 11:24 AM
Are you sure it is the tiger loop and not the fuel pump?