Help with no ignition

Old 12-18-07, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with no ignition

Hi, new here, read alot of great info so far and have done the following to help remedy my Beckett AF-10 burner that is kicking on but no flame.

1. Bled system and made sure getting good flow
2. Replaced nozzle
3. Replaced cad (same thing happened last year and that was the culprit but not this time)
4. Replaced thermostat (only because I let the blue wire hit metal and it shorted it out, woops)
5. Cleaned off the electrodes to make sure full potential of spark is there.
6. I was a bit hesitant at first to test the transformer as it is 10,000 volts, but I stood back and squinted my eyes, ran an insulated screwdriver across the transformer springs. Got a little blue spark on each side of the springs but no actual arch as I pulled the screwdriver away. Assuming I did this right I would imagine this is the culprit. I wanted to be sure I did this correctly as it is about 50 bucks and no returns on electrical parts.
As always, the darn thing breaks down on the coldest night. Now my electric bill is goin through the roof......

I appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 07:20 PM
Did you place a screwdriver on one of the spring, and close to the other and pull away? You should be able to pull the spark about 3/4" way.. if it's less than that, then you have a weak transformer.

Old 12-19-07, 09:04 AM
bada bingo! I couldnt have done it without the help of this site, thanks.

45 bucks at my local oil heater guys for a lighter, more powerful transformer. Theres no hesitation at all when it kicks in, yee haw!

Old 12-19-07, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not no oil man per se, but I ran into a situation once with an oil burner where the spark was lacking and it turned out the cure was free; the electrode area was all sooted up due to previous malfunctions, backdrafting and stuff, and the soot was causing spark to be diverted directly to ground path of the soot rather than across the electrodes. Just thought I'd share that.