Problems with Ruud Achiever 90 plus

Old 12-20-07, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with Ruud Achiever 90 plus

Hello everyone. I also have a ruud achiever 90 and I'm having problems as well. I don't have any experience with heating units but I wanted find out here first if I can fix the problem myself before I call someone and spend a few hundred dollars (and maybe more than that).
I also have my heating unit in the attic but it's basically crawl space. It's not insulated so it gets almost as cold up there as it does outside but not quite as cold. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the problems I'm having but the unit doesn't work properly when it gets really cold outside. Sometimes it will sound like it is on, not blowing heat, but like it is taking in air and is about to start up but then it just goes off. Other times it will start to blow but it will blow cold air because the fire never lit. And other times it will blow heat but it will not get to the temperature that the thermastat was set at.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or what the cause could be? It only about 5 years old and this problem only started at the end of last winter but it didn't happen too often so it was no big deal.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you turned up the stat and then gone up there and removed the cover to where you can see the burner, and see and listen for the proper sequence of: ventor motor to come on, then some form of ignition, then the burner flame, and then the blower motor that sends heat out your registers?

It would help if you could then report this info back on exactly what is happening. Reset the furnace if you have to (in case the ignition process 'locks out') by turning it off, wait a number of seconds, and turn back on and do it again and see what is sporadic in what comes on sometimes and other times does not. And for how long everything lasts for.