No ignition Freedom 80 furnace

Old 12-21-07, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No ignition Freedom 80 furnace

I have a Freedom 80 furnace model AUD080R936J1 that has worked great for five years in this house we are in BUT yesterday our Honeywell CT3200 Programmable T-stat was flashing indication that the battery was low.

I opened the T-stat to replace batteries and found one of the two wires loose and not connected. Replaced the battery, put the loose Black wire where it looked like it came from "G" terminal.

Turned everything back on BUT I hear the furnace start to hum, then the ignition click but nothing happens. It just continues to hum and no ignition nor flame. It's 28F outside and my fingeres are getting to cold to type.

Anyone have suggestion. Service people may be able to come in a few days...........

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to get in a position to look at the furnace when it tries to come on. Have someone dial the temp down, and then turn it up to call for heat while you are watching the furnace.

You should hear the inducer fan ( hum) and in ten or fifteen seconds, a click as the power is turned on to the hot surface ignitor. You should see a cherry red glow in the furnace near the burners.

I suspect that the hot surface ignitor has gone bad. Not unusual. They last from a month to ten or more years. About $ 40 for the part if you DIY. Much more if a repair person has to do it.

Old 12-21-07, 09:49 AM
No glow what so ever from igniter after the hum and the click.

Old 12-21-07, 11:21 AM
Well it was a not to expensive lesson. I managed to get a local servieman come and look and he found MY problem right away. Only charges a reasonable service call Turned out I had the T-stat wire going to the wrong terminal. Works great now. Thanks for your response.