cozy direct vented gas wall heater not heating-please help!

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-25-07, 10:05 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 16
Question cozy direct vented gas wall heater not heating-please help!

i have a newer (4years old) cozy gravity direct vent wall furnace model cdv255b.

worked last winter without any issue but when i tried this week during a cold spell (i live in los angeles) it wouldn't fire up when i turned the thermostat up. the pilot is lit and has a nice blue flame.

downloaded manual from cozy but i couldn't find any information about it.

ideas? thanks, cold in los angeles.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-25-07, 11:17 AM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 13,925
Cozy

Make sure the knob on the gas valve is set to "on" & not "pilot".
 
  #3  
Old 12-25-07, 04:48 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 16
cozy wall heater

i double checked- its turned to on, not pilot.

maybe need a new thermostat?
 
  #4  
Old 12-25-07, 05:32 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 13,925
Thermostat

The thermostat could be the source of the problem. An easy way to check is to remove the thermostat & jump the two wires together. If the heater fires, it's thermostat time.
 
  #5  
Old 12-26-07, 11:37 AM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by after View Post
i have a newer (4years old) cozy gravity direct vent wall furnace model cdv255b.

worked last winter without any issue but when i tried this week during a cold spell (i live in los angeles) it wouldn't fire up when i turned the thermostat up. the pilot is lit and has a nice blue flame.

downloaded manual from cozy but i couldn't find any information about it.

ideas? thanks, cold in los angeles.


With a four year old heater, I'd be suspicious of a poor electrical connection as a source of the problem.


Unfortunately, the correct method of troubleshooting such a problem is to walk the circuit with a millivolt DC voltmeter and identify the point at which the voltage isn't passing properly. Without the skill to do that, you are just guessing.

A try at jumpering out the thermostat might be a guess that's worth trying.
 
  #6  
Old 12-26-07, 11:41 AM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
From your post this might well be a 24 VAC low voltage system rather than the millivolt system I was supposing.


If that's what the system is, it may well have an electrical switch on the furnace or a wall switch to turn electric power on and off to the heater. It's not unusual for that switch to get turned off on wall furnaces, so looking for such a switch and checking to see it's in the on position would be worthwhile.
 
  #7  
Old 12-26-07, 05:02 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose,Ca
Posts: 1,560
Direct vent wall furnaces are notorious for spiders in the burner orifice. Gas valve may well be opening, but gas doesn't pass spider nest blockage. Simply another thing to look at
 
  #8  
Old 12-27-07, 09:05 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
gas wall heater

my thermostat for my wall heater is not working. I called the gas company and they said i needed a new thermostat. Whike the gas man was at my house he jump started the heater and it worked. I have since gone an purchased 2 different models of thermostats and cannot make them work? Please help.

Thank you
 
  #9  
Old 12-27-07, 10:31 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose,Ca
Posts: 1,560
Originally Posted by dcjade View Post
my thermostat for my wall heater is not working. I called the gas company and they said i needed a new thermostat. Whike the gas man was at my house he jump started the heater and it worked. I have since gone an purchased 2 different models of thermostats and cannot make them work? Please help.

Thank you

Call the gas guy back and tell him to use a meter to find your problem.
 
  #10  
Old 12-27-07, 10:39 AM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
People often underestimate the difficulty of installing a thermostat correctly, and often get a furnace working with the thermostat installed incorrectly in various ways.


The thermostat surely comes with instructions. Since there are lots of different kinds and varieties of thermostats, you need to take the time to read and understand the instructions for openers.
 
  #11  
Old 12-27-07, 01:06 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
wall heater thermostat

we have read the directions left and right over and over. No matter what we do, it does not click the heater on.

desperate
 
  #12  
Old 12-27-07, 02:57 PM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by dcjade View Post
we have read the directions left and right over and over. No matter what we do, it does not click the heater on.

desperate

The probability is that you are not installing the thermostats correctly. One may be no good out of the box, but two bad 'stats is very unlikely. Still, it's always possible.

Unfortunately, that's where experience is important in sorting things out.



Seattle Pioneer
 
  #13  
Old 12-27-07, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,629
Can you explain the thermostat wiring?: How many wires? What color are they? What alphabet initial do you hook each of the colored thermostat wires to? Inside the wall heater, can you find where the thermostat wires are connected and tell us what alphabet letter corresponds to each wire there?
 
  #14  
Old 12-28-07, 09:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 16
wall heater not working

i tried to jump the wires- touch the red and white one from the thermostat but no response.

does that mean the thermostat is out?

i'm not sure how to explain the wiring except that there are two wires - one white and one red that tie into the thermostat and heater. it hasn't been changed since installed.

thanks.
 
  #15  
Old 12-28-07, 10:04 PM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by after View Post
i tried to jump the wires- touch the red and white one from the thermostat but no response.

does that mean the thermostat is out?

i'm not sure how to explain the wiring except that there are two wires - one white and one red that tie into the thermostat and heater. it hasn't been changed since installed.

thanks.

You need to go back to the furnace and take off the cover over the burner compartment.


Is there a pilot light in the furnace?

Check to be sure that the power switch next to the furnace is turned to the on position and that the circuit breaker is tunred on.

Be sure that the panel covering the fan compartment is properly in position.

Can you observe where the wires come in from the thermostat? Are they the same red and white wires that extend out to the thermostat location?

If someone else connects those wires together while you are ay the furnace, does anything happen?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes