B&G pump coupler issue

Old 12-28-07, 03:09 AM
B&G pump coupler issue

Hi,

I wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the heat pump section but decided to try here.

I have a B&G pump on my oil furnace that had a coupler replaced last year. Now the problem returned in the shape of the coupler springs being broken. Can anyone tell me what some or all of the possible reasons for this and if there is some way to check/fix these? Or is it time to look for a new pump? I did check the play on the shafts and the motor side has some (very little) and the pump side is fine.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't quite recall whether it's a sagging motor mount or sagging pump that is the most common cause of B&G coupling failures. A second cause is lack of pump and motor lubrication.

The pump takes about a teaspoon of machine oil a couple of times a year. The motor just a few drops in both the bearing cups.

Old 12-28-07, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the pump is free, maybe it's just a fluke.

Since it is the pump that is being driven by the motor and coupler, if the pump were sticky or seized, it be understandable how you'd break a spring. But you say your pump turns free.

I'm trying to think if it makes any reasonable sense that if the motor coupler and pump came up to speed and ran, and then once the motor shut off, that if the MOTOR has a drag, that it's sudden slowing down could cause a whiplash effect with the springs. I don't know.

We know that with any motor, that you do not want side to side play with the shaft. None, that you can readily feel. End to end play is okay.

Maybe the quality of the spring is poor. You could take a chance this time around and replace the springs. Did they truly break, or did they fly off. If they simply flew off, perhaps there is something to what I just said 2 paragraphs above.

Last year I had 1 of the springs break in an old unit and I made my own spring and fixed it (suggested to me by hardware man who sold me long piece of spring stock I cut and bent each end on, to duplicate) and it is still going, smooth and quiet too.

Old 12-28-07, 07:49 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Often the cause of short coupling life is the motor mounting rings (rubber) have deteriorated because of over oiling the motor.

Replace the rubber mounting rings and make sure that all the mounting bracket bolts are tight.

Old 01-02-08, 04:05 PM
Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't answered them all but I was checking based on the suggestions.

But Furd, it seems you hit the nail on the head. When I added oil, it came pouring out of the mount where the rings are. I'll replace that and see where it leads.

As I've never done this, are there any tricks to be aware of?