Olsen BFL-120 oil furnace

Old 12-30-07, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Olsen BFL-120 oil furnace

My furnace has gone through about 40 gallons in 2 weeks and was wondering if this type of consumtion is normal or a little high. With the prices of oil now adays ##*$*@. Also next to the oil line going into the furnace there is a turney knob and was wondering what it correlates to as i believe my step son has messed with it. It is just before the motor assembly and pretty much where the oil enters the pump

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 04:43 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
I hope this doesn't come across as rude or condescending but really, nobody could answer those questions as stated.

If you were trying to heat a 10,000 square foot building with no insulation that was located north of the Arctic circle then you would likely be burning 40 gallons an hour. Conversely, if you were trying to heat a 500 square foot shack in Puerto Rico then 40 gallons a month would probably be excessive.

So work with us, Eric.

Where is you house located? What is its approximate age? How big is it? How many levels? What kind of windows and doors does it have? What kind (and how much and where) of insulation does it have? Is it drafty? What have been the outside temperature extremes lately?

What type of heat do you have, forced air or a hydronic (water or steam) system? If forced air have you checked the filters? If hydronic do you have unusual noises or high or low pressure readings?

The volunteers on this site want to help you but we need much more data than you have given us.

Pictures (more are always better) often help in diagnosing problems. We really need a picture of the "turney knob" because there are several possibilities.

Pictures are best when uploaded to a photo hosting site and then have the URL posted here.

Old 12-30-07, 05:12 PM
yes i understand the lack of information i frequent auto repair forums and hate it when people dont include relevant information. i am in central maine normal winter temps are 15degrees the house is about 40 years old with new windows and doors attic is well insulated its a 2 story with full basement and house is about 25x30 and i keep the temp at 64 during the day and 58 at night. cannot think of any other important information.

Old 12-30-07, 05:19 PM
oh yeah the walls are horsehair plaster so im betting the insulation is blown it is forced hot air using #2 heres a photo of the valve

Old 12-30-07, 05:27 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Forty gallons in 14 days (two weeks) is (ASSUMING equal usage per day) about 2.86 gallons per day. Number 2 heating oil has a BTU content of about 140,000BTUs / gallon so that would translate to about 400,000 BTUs burned per day or about 16,667 BTUs burned per hour. Assuming 80% combustion efficiency that leave about 13,334 BTUs per hour as the heat loss from your house.

That's a real rough calculation but if the temperatures are as low as 15 degrees during the night then that doesn't seem to me as excessive. It has been about thirty years since I dealt with a residential oil-fired heating system but that particular one was rather stingy in its oil consumption and during the winter months in the Seattle area (much warmer than your area) the average consumption was between two and four gallons per day.

Go back and read my previous post and then answer the rest of the questions. From this distance and with the information you have given I don't think that your oil consumption is out of line.

Old 12-31-07, 07:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Valve/Oil usage

Eric, the valve is to shut off the oil to the burner. It should be fully open. I wouldn't think the amount of fuel you are using is out of line considering central Maine. If I read the model number right, the furnace is 120,000 btu/hr output.