Enough LP for Trane XV95?

Old 12-31-07, 07:50 PM
Enough LP for Trane XV95?

I am about to install an XV95 Gas Furnace in to my cottage on the Chesapeake Bay. It is a 1400 sq. ft. cape with average insulation. I only spend weekends there in the winter. Normal weekday thermostat setting is 57. Normal weekend setting is 70. Av. outside air temp. is normal for mid-atlantic area (av. winter temp probably somewhere in the 25-35 range).

I have a single 420# (100 gal) LP tank on premises currently for a gas stove. I am installaing a second 420 for a total of 200 gals. I haven't seen any specs on LP burn rate for the XV95 so I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not I am going to have enough LP on-site for my equipment and usage. Not being there during the week makes it all that more important to make sure the fuel is adequate. It wouldn't take too many hours after fuel starvation before I could begin losing some copper pipes.

Thank you.

DaveK

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-07, 08:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Propane tanks need to be able to absorb heat from the surrounding air in order to boil propane and produce the gas that a furnace can use. With a tank that's too small for the weather conditions and the heating load placed on it, the result can be that not enough propane gas can be produced, and the furnace wont turn on.

I'd check with your propane distributor. They should be able to tell you whether this should be a concern for you.

Old 12-31-07, 08:50 PM
You would benefit from a good heat loss calculation here.

I can tell you this much:
If my math is correct, you get about 94,320Btu's per gallon of propane burned. The XV95 is 95%, so after accounting for the efficiency loss, you can count on having about 90,000Btu's available to heat your place for every gallon of propane burned.

For your locality and the size of your cottage, I will "guess" on a heat loss of about 30,000 Btuh (when the thermostat is at the lower setting of 57F)...Again, a well done heat loss calculation will give the true numbers...the 30K is an educated guess, but JUST a guess nevertheless.

So, give or take, you'll be able to heat your place for 3 hours for each gallon of propane consumed (longer if the weather gets warmer)

Old 01-01-08, 06:05 AM
Depends on how many BTU the furnace is. I am going to say No. It's only going to draw from one tank at a time, and I don't think the tank has a enough surface area to boil off fast enough.. If you are worried about the eye sore of above ground tank, ask for a 500 gallon underground tank.. My parents has a 1,000 gallon underground tank.

Also when the t-stat is calling for 2nd stage on recovery, going to have a higher gas draw from the tank(s), may not have a enough gas pressure.

Do you have a two stage t-stat on the furnace?