gas heater wont stay lit

Old 01-02-08, 05:24 PM
gas heater wont stay lit

Hey guys.
I've got an American Standard 80 model.
the thing come on fine, fires up.. run well for maybe 5-15 minutes. Then I've got a problem. it shuts off.. then it tries to relight itself. I can hear it click.. click click... each time the burners actually flame up, but do not stay on for more than a half a second. at first i suspected the unit was getting too hot, but if so, why would it try to fire up again? And, if it was a supply line problem, why would it run fine for the first 10 minutes? perhapse my sensor is shot?
one other thing, it ran just fine before i got in there and vacumed it out... so i dont know what i did to it. Any help would be appriciated... also, im a noob when it come to this, so please explain and troubleshooting in detail. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-08, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by R-o-D View Post
Hey guys.
I've got an American Standard 80 model.
the thing come on fine, fires up.. run well for maybe 5-15 minutes. Then I've got a problem. it shuts off.. then it tries to relight itself. I can hear it click.. click click... each time the burners actually flame up, but do not stay on for more than a half a second. at first i suspected the unit was getting too hot, but if so, why would it try to fire up again? And, if it was a supply line problem, why would it run fine for the first 10 minutes? perhapse my sensor is shot?
one other thing, it ran just fine before i got in there and vacumed it out... so i dont know what i did to it. Any help would be appriciated... also, im a noob when it come to this, so please explain and troubleshooting in detail. THANKS!

Furnaces don't just turn on. A whole series of electrical connections have to be made, one after the other to get heat out of a furnace.

You need to use an AC voltmeter and the schematic diagram of the furnace to "walk the circuit" of the furnace to see at what point something isn't sitching on or is not stay on reliably.

The fact that the burners aren't staying lit, but are operating erratically, suggests a part that is worn, dirty or otherwise on the edge of not working at all. This could also be a safety like the pressure switch which may be on the edge of opening and shutting off the furnace.

For openers, what kind of fuel do you have? What kind of igntition system do you have --- probably a hot surface ignition system with a glow plug ignitor or an intermittent pilot system that uses a spark to ignite a pilot light and which uses the pilot light to light the main burner.

You need to watch that sequence of operation carefully and see if you can provide a more detailed description of what is happening.

Old 01-03-08, 12:57 PM
Try this: check the flame rod, it may be sooted-up...if so, use a kleenex to clean-up the soot. Do it gently.