Weatherking Burners Sound Funny?

Old 01-02-08, 08:28 PM
Weatherking Burners Sound Funny?

Weather King Furnace.

If you had a propane torch in your hand and turned it full blast (say it is normal sound of burners), then down a little and back to full blast real quick. Wait about 15 seconds and then do it again.

That is what they sound like, but I can see not visible difference in the flames. Everything turns on OK and goes off OK. I'm just worried that it may be a problem and am scared to leave it on tonight.... but its very, very cold.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Or is it even a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-08, 11:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What I'm hearing you suggest is that the noise from the burner isn't steady, but is varying from what you consider to be normal to being unusually loud. Is that correct?

That suggests that the gas pressure is varying from normal to being overfired, although there are other possible explanations. Do you have natural gas or propane? And what are your outside temperatures/snowfall and accumulated snowfall? What time of the day did you begin noticing that, and have you noticed it on other occasions, and if so when and at what time of the day or night?

A regulator on a propane tank or natural gas regulator may be freezing up and sending the wrong pressures, or it could be that the gas utility lines are freezing up due or becoming waterlogged, causing varying gas pressures.

You might have a propane tank freezing up and unable to provide adequate gas pressure. Do you have any other gas appliances, and if so can you observe any unusual noises or varying flame sizes on those appliances?

Old 01-03-08, 07:12 AM
Do you have natural gas or propane?
Natural Gas

And what are your outside temperatures/snowfall and accumulated snowfall?
I live in Houston, TX. and it was below 30F last night.

What time of the day did you begin noticing that, and have you noticed it on other occasions, and if so when and at what time of the day or night?
Last night was the first time I noticed it.

or it could be that the gas utility lines are freezing up due or becoming waterlogged, causing varying gas pressures.
I believe it has something to do with the gas company. The meter outside makes a loud clicking noise when the furnace is on.

Old 01-03-08, 07:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you describe that clicking noise in more detail? Of the noises a gas meter/regulator might make, I can't think of anything clicking.

How often does it make this noise? Is it just when the furnace first turns on?

Do you have other gas appliances? If so, can you observe any variations in how they are operating that might be similar to that of the furnace problems? This is especially easy with a gas range, since swings in gas pressure could be observed by turning on a range burner and seeing if it varies in size along with the furnace burner.

These are all substitutes for the correct method of testing for this kind of problem, which is measuring the incoming gas pressure with a manometer and looking for variations in the gas pressure.

Old 01-03-08, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, but the gas company is here now and replacing the whole meter. He said it sounded like the regulator not giving a steady flow of gas. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-08, 08:01 AM
All fixed now. He replaced the whole meter and burner flames are constant and no more clicking sounds.