Furnace burner stops working in cold (below 10ºF)

Old 01-04-08, 05:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace burner stops working in cold (below 10ºF)

Hello. I am new here. I have been researching the net for some info regarding my furnace problem when I found this site....wow....great site! As the subject states. My furnace stops working in cold....or should I say the burner quits I will list the model etc.
Furnace: Bard FLR085D36E forced hot air (I installed in 2005/12)
Burner: Beckett AFG (F4 head)
Furnace had combustion test in 2006/03. Passed with flying colors. I had it serviced yesterday. The service technician couldn't replace the nozzle because he didn't have the "pattern". I asked him about the oil filter itself....he said "oooh it still looks clean I left the old one in it". "Sweet". I am buying a new nozzle and filter tomorrow and replacing those. Burner burns fine initialy but then it dies out in about 30-35 seconds. I checked the pump filter....spotless. When I warm the fitting on the oil tank with a torch (I know....) the flow is restored but that is not a solution. What could this be? Fuel is not gelled I checked it in the cold. Is it seddiment?
Oil tank is outside (275G)! Next to house in a semi sheltered spot. Last year it worked fine in colder temps. It was 1/4 tank for the summer (condesation?). I do use HEAT with each oil delivery and have the tank filled to 3/4 (just a budget reason). The only thing I left old when I installed the furnace was the line leading from the tank to the furnace. It is a 1/2 inch insulated copper gas line. The filter is inside the house. It used to be near the burner on the old furnace. When I put the new one in I put the filter next to the furnace about 28 inches from the fuel inlet valve. It is a 3/8 line. I used a reducer and there is plenty of flow....when it's warmer outside (20ºF plus). I am planning on replaceing the old 1/2 line tomorrow. Another thing is that even after the furnace was serviced the audible alarm indicating incorrect flame temp came on every so often but not every cycle. The alarm came on when it was warmer too that is what prompted the service call. My furnace has a clean air boot on it to use outside air for burner. Am I missing something? If so what is it? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-04-08, 08:47 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
From everything you have said and how you fix it with a torch, it sure sounds like it is freezing up, even though you use Heat.

I have poured isopropyl alcohol in gas that had water in the bottom and witnessed stratification of the 3 liquids. From top down: gas, alcohol, water. There is not much agitation going on in a fuel oil tank compared to a gas tank.

And the fact it wants to only do it -10 degrees with a tank outside.

I might be all wet on this, but that is my suspicion, anyway, until someone has a better idea.

Old 01-05-08, 05:03 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks ecman. Has anyone ever poured 2 bottles of heat in the tank. Is that harmful to my furnace? Should I try putting in some kerosine? If so, how much of it?
As I said I am replacing the old oil line today and I am also making it shorter just to get rid of some friction loss and help the pump deal with gelling if that is the case.
This was not happening last winter or the year befor that. The tank is also old so it may have some sludge build up. Is it possible for the oil to gel just in the fitting coming out of the tank itself? I checked the oil in the cold and it was petty thin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: