carrier pilot won't ignight

Old 01-04-08, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy carrier pilot won't ignight

I have a carrier gas furnace mod.#58 GS-100 161GB installed 3/25/91 it's my brotherinlaws. two summers ago he bought the house and everything was fine untill winter when the furnace would not always start. I checked it out and the ignighter was sparking but no pilot light,I put a flame to it and it lit and the burners came on. but still intermitent on it's own.I took the ignighter out and he had found a box from the old home owner that had about 4 in there with instructions to install I changed the gap on sparker to the specks but no good,I then closed up the gap and it wouldnt light at all so I then increased the gap larger then the instructions and it lit every time. This winter its back to it's old trick I'm sure there is another problem I missed as well as the other owner! Any ideas? Thank You I'm at wits end.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-08, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As likely as not, the pilot burner is dirty and needs to be taken apart and cleaned. You should take the pilot orifice out and clean it --- with natural gas a wire from a wire brush may be of suitable size.

Reasemble the pilot burner and test it. If it still wont light it's probably because the proper position of the spark has been fouled up. You can keep bending it to try to get it positioned properly, but you masy wind up breaking that abused electrode, which would require a replacement of that part.

If you haven't had the furnace cleaned and serviced within the past year or two, you should probably have a repairman do the work for you. Neglecting maintenance on gas furnmaces is not recommended. Indeed, cleaning and adjusting the pilot is a part of that routine maintenance.

Old 01-04-08, 02:42 PM
carrier pilot

Thank you for your reply. No I did not bend any thing it slides on a bracket as instruction indicated.