Heil 9mpd Leaking Water

Old 01-05-08, 03:45 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heil 9mpd Leaking Water

Noticed puddle of water under bottom of furnace. Water is dripping off the botton of the transition assembly, that is behind the exhaust blower and in front of the secondary heat exchanger. Note, water only seems to drip from this assembly after furnace shuts down. Water runs accross bottom panel separating upper and lower cabinet, and passes through grommet in corner, running down wires to bottom of lower cabinet and finally out corner of cabinet. No apparant leaks from any drain connections, or plugged hoses. When running, PVC intake and exhaust pipes seem to operate ok. This has obviously happened in the past, since there is some discoloration and rusting on bottom of cabinet. Also note this is a 75,000 BTU furnace with 2" PVC air intake and exhaust. The length is approximately 12', but has 7-90 degree elbows. (Instructions allow 40' w/5 elbows minus 5' for each additional elbow) Any advise would be helpful.

Old 01-05-08, 04:31 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure lines are not plugged, even though you said they are not. Make sure everything is clear from furnace on through the trap. Blow in both ways to be sure. Make sure trap is intact and does not leak out water. If trap is not intact and full of water, that can cause weird things to happen with how the condensate water drains, and also affect how the drafting of the furnace works .

Old 01-05-08, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What ecman said.

Also, it doesn't sound like you've taken the cover off the burner compartment. As I uderstand your post, the water is accumulating in the burner compartment and then finding ways to leak out. That suggests that you need to take that cover off so you can observe the water pooling directly, which should allow you to determine why it isn't draining out the way it should.

This is one of those cases where it all should go downhill!

Old 02-13-11, 08:41 AM
A
heil leaker

My 9mpd is doing the same thing. I found a crack in the transition assy by the drain hose and have tried to seal it with silicone. Iffy! Can that assy be removed without too much hassle. While off it could be repaired or replaced but I don't want to cause more trouble than I have already. That part is only available thru dealers as far as I can tell. Thanks,GB

Old 02-13-11, 09:13 AM
S
twists and turns.........................

the answer is=======too many elbows......
maximum allowed distance is 40 ft with 5 elbows

YOU ARE ALLOWED 12 FEET PLUS 5 ELBOWS(5 FEET PER ELBOW)=37FT(UNDER 40)

NOW YOU HAVE 12 FEET PLUS 7 ELBOWS=35 FT (5 FT PER ELBOW)=47 FEET
THIS IS TOO FAR OF A DISTANCE FOR THIS TO WORK PROPERLY.
THEY MUST ALSO BE LONG SWEEP ELBOWS,IF NOT THAT CAN ADD MORE DISTANCE.
can you post a pic of the piping? i cannot imagine that in 12 feet that you need 7 elbows.it aint installed right....:NO NO NO:

Old 02-13-11, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 30 Posts
Seabee570

The original post at which you were looking is over 3 years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: