old Miller heater, ignitor doesn't light up

Old 01-05-08, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old Miller heater, ignitor doesn't light up

I have a Miller heater furnace that's about 15 years old. Everything but the ignitor starts fine. The inducer kicks on. The gas kicks on. But the ignitor won't light the gas. The ignitor has been replaced before so that part is fine now so I thought it might be a bad ignition control. It's a Robertshaw HS780. Is that usually the problem in this case?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-08, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good description of the symptoms in your furnace ---- are we getting people trained out there?

Ignitors fail far more often than the circuit board. You make be able to see a crack is the ignitor without removing it. Secondly you should use an ohmmeter to check for continuity through the ignitor --- and infinite resistance indicates that the ignitor is burned out.

A second check you should make is to test the AC voltage coming from the circuit board to the ignitor. You should get 120 VAC across those two wires after the inducer motor switches on and the pressure switch makes to switch the voltage on to the ignitor. If you don't get the 120 VAC and the ignitor has a continuous circuit, then the problem lies elsewhere, such as the curcuit board or the pressure switch.

Old 01-07-09, 01:31 PM
Miller furnace about 8yrs old

I[ dont have a reply, I have a problem with my furnace it does nothing. I had this problem back in October only b/c my oil ran low and the service person came out to bleed it. He told me that it will lock itself out and showed us how to fix it , but now the pilot doesnt come on and the bleeding doesnt work anybody have any ideas for me..its going to get cold after tomorrow..[/FONT]

Old 01-07-09, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello chelle---

Please start a new thread. Trying to deal with two problems on the same thread rapidly becomes confusing at best.

Old 01-07-09, 05:46 PM
Wow I forgot this thread was here. Well just for an update. I wasn't getting any voltage from the board so I replaced the ignition control box and it's worked fine ever since. There was a universal replacement available that replaces a lot of older modules.