Payne furnace, pain in the .....

Old 01-08-08, 12:32 PM
Payne furnace, pain in the .....

Okay, I'll try to be as short but clear as possible.

We have forced air, my guess about 20 years old, with a Payne furnace. It has been working fine for years.

Last week of November I hear the flame kick in and then after 5 seconds or so cut out. So I figure that it is the old tstat. I replace the tstat, it turns out the one I put in is bad. So I take it back and put in the new one. I got through the setup, nothing really seems to work. So I get out the ladder, climb up, pull the plug for the furnace out of the socket. I open the cover, look around to see if there is a smell of burnt wires or I can see anything. I don't know much of what I was looking at but.... still I tried. So I button everything up, plug it in, get down, and about 5 minutes later the furnace kicks in. Works fine for a few days.

Now if it back to the same thing. If I turn the "auto/on" switch at the tstat to on, the blower comes on. If I turn it to auto, it does not come on but I get the same cycling. Hear the burner kick in, then 5 seconds later shut off.

I'll take any advice and follow instructions well. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look for a flame sensor and polish it up. Many furnaces have a lone thin wire that heads into the burner area, and terminates at where it mounts with one screw. When removed you will see a rod a few inches long and you brighten it up with steel wool or scotch brite pad. This causes the flame to register at the control board as a safety feature.

Old 01-08-08, 05:39 PM
ecman51

Okay, I opened up the furnace, watched it cycle through two start and stops. First there the furnace ignitor would heat up to a bright orange glow, then a 'click' then flames shooting into the chamber. This lasted about 5 seconds each time, the the flames off. The furnace ignitor is towards the bottom of the the assembly, and at the top is flame sensor, which I could see was in the flames.

I unplugged the power to the furnace, removed the lone screw holding the sensor in place and removed it. Upon inspection it did not seem to be too baked, but as you suggested I used some steel wool. It did in fact polish up. I put everything back together but not the door, plugged in the power cable, turned on the gas and in a few seconds the glow was coming back, the ignition took place and it never went out. Less than a minute later the blower came on and the entire house now has heat flowing.

Thank you much for your help. Should I have more problems, I will post here. Thank you.

Old 01-08-08, 05:52 PM
ecman51'

I think you just saved the happiness in our home. Now my lady is thanking you as well. She baked you cookies or a pie if you were hear. LOL!

Old 01-08-08, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is a very common problem with these newer furnaces and should be included in routine maintenance.

Disaster can strike if one goes on a vacation in extreme cold weather and you do not have a friend or relative to look in on your house, due to possible malfunctions with these furnaces.

Some people do not realize also how badly a clogged furnace filter can affect a furnace and cause wear and tear on electrical parts and clog up either an exchanger or a/c coils above. Some people do not realize that the furnace is effectively filtering air through it a good share of the year if you have central air. I have seen people pile snow over the exhaust vent of the furnace outside (when out by the driveway).

If everyone would just learn a few basics on these types of furnaces, many people could save themselves lots of money.