flue basics/Size of flue

Old 01-13-08, 08:57 AM
flue basics/Size of flue

I have a Lennox oil burner that sits in my utility room. Leaking soot and condensation have been a problem since we bought the house 8 years ago. The burner has a 6 inch exhaust output married to a 6 to 5 inch single-wall adaptor the 5 inch pipe goes up 2 feet and over 4f eet, meets another adaptor 5 to 6 inch, and is connected to a class A double insulated 6 inch flue, I'll guess it is 20 feet to outside exit.
Originally, the owner before me, simply jammed the single wall
galvanized into the 6 inch double-wall, of course it didn't fit and I had soot and condensation coming out into the room.
I have a new adaptor to marry my double to single wall, that will cure the soot.
But I can't find 6to5 inch adaptors, or 5 inch pipe.

Should I just install all new 6 inch from furnace to flue?
Why would the installers have used a 5 inch pipe anyway?

I have had professionals service the system every year and no one has mentioned a problem with the flue.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-08, 02:28 PM
OK, I found some 5 inch stuff, The Lowes and Home Depot near my house did not carry it. I went to another HD and they have it.
My new question is: Should I run 6 inch all the out or leave well enuf alone? Thanks in advance for any reply

Old 01-13-08, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent size

If it comes off the furnace at 6", it should be 6" all the way.

Old 01-13-08, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
If it comes off the furnace at 6", it should be 6" all the way.
I like that answer.. the pipe would make a simpler run, i.e. no extra adaptors at either end.

Old 01-13-08, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
20 Feet?

Is this furnace power vented? I'd like to see some pictures.

Old 01-13-08, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Is this furnace power vented? I'd like to see some pictures.
Don't understand power vented, it is a lennox oil burner series 020 circa 1992. I snapped some pix:

Last edited by BrokenDownHouse; 01-13-08 at 05:44 PM. Reason: realign attached pix
Old 01-13-08, 05:42 PM
I sent in the pix, I can see them here, but I didn't set them up right on this page. The flue in the ceiling is a 6 inch selkirk metalbestos SS11 class A double-walled insulated, it goes straight up, about 20 feet, it has a standard cap. The single wall is all 5 inch, except adaptors to furnace and flue.
I also have the ceiling support flange for the double -wall, I will install that when I get the ceiling and studs in order. The last owner was not a big stickler for doing things correctly. This is repair project # 342, since 1999

Old 01-13-08, 08:50 PM
I'm going to take a WAG and say that there was a clearance issue with the refrigerant and condensate lines from the cooling coil and THAT is why the 5 inch was installed.

Or it could be that the photos are misleading.

When you replace that smoke pipe please turn the barometric damper (the Tee thingie with the swinging gate) so that it has an unrestricted airflow rather than being close to the wall. The damper needs to be installed plumb and level to work properly.

Old 01-14-08, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clearances

I'd say Furd is right. Even with the 5" it looks awfully tight. BTW, the fuel in that Tiger Loop looks way dark. Is that wire which comes in from the left side & goes to a junction box on the right side protected? Protected or not, I'd much rather see it go under the burner, or better yet, around behind the furnace & in thru the right side.

If you want to avoid future troubles, do away with that humidifier & if you need humidification, go to a by-pass type.