Gas forced air furnace short cycling

Old 01-15-08, 07:36 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas forced air furnace short cycling

Hi - I have been reading so many related threads my head is swimming so I am going to record as much information as I can recall and thank you in advance for any help!

I am a renter in this home 2 years and the furnace has not been serviced in this time. I just recently replaced the filter.
Furnace is Magic Chef Highboy Gas forced air Model # G6A100-D11 and attached to the gas line within the furnace (where the red and white wires attach) is a Honeywell Model #VR800A 1012.
I installed a Ritetemp Digital Thermostat Model #8050C where the swing setting is 3.
All the registers in the house are unobstructed and open except one is closed in the 1st floor bathroom (there is also a finished basement that is partially underground).

I don't have the problem most folks have on these threads where the flames shut off and the blower stays on - or vice versa. My furnace blower and flames cycle together: Blower on, flames on, blower off then flames off. The time between each cycle is about 1 minute! until the desired temp is reached. Here are some examples of intervals in seconds:

1) Cycle is off for 73 seconds - blower comes on then after 20 seconds flames come on; After 60 secs blower turns off, after 28 secs flames turn off
2) Cycle is off for 40 seconds - blower comes on; after 20 seconds flames come on; after 45 secs the blower shuts off then after 35 secs flames shut off
3) Cycle off for 50 seconds - blower comes on, after 20 seconds flames come on; after 50 seconds blower shuts off, after 35 secs flames shut off
4) Cycle off for 60 seconds - blower comes on, after 35 secs flames come on, after 55 secs blower shuts off, after 40 secs flames shut off
5) Cycle off for 65 seconds...well you get the idea.
I know this has to be very bad!!

I just want to make sure it's not my thermostat and that it is likely the furnace.

Thanks in advance for any help - please let me know if you need more info!

Old 01-15-08, 08:16 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The burner should light first and then the blower start. The burner (and blower) should continue to run until the thermostat is satisfied and then the burner should go off and some time period later the blower should stop.

It might be the thermostat depending on how many wires you connected, how they are connected and how you "set up" the thermostat.

However, you stated that you are renting this house. As a renter you probably should NOT be futzing with the heating system. There could be some severe liabilities in store for you.

Old 01-15-08, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say put the old tstat back on and call the landlord about this. Like said it can be bad for you to mess with the furnace.

Old 01-16-08, 07:38 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I simply followed the wiring instructions that came with the thermostat - which was installed last winter (forgot to mention that) and this problem is just now ocurring this winter.

Thanks for the replies!

Cindi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: